Looking for something to do:

Upcoming CHUM Events

Dismiss Notice
  3. Where CHUM Dives

CHUM dive trips, trip reports, dive buddy board and more:

Where CHUM Dives

Dismiss Notice
  4. CHUM Officers

Questions, Suggestions, Want to Lead a CHUM Trip or Learn about the CHUM Officers? Contact us:

Your CHUM Board of Directors

Dismiss Notice
  5. CHUM Facebook

Like and Follow us:

CHUM FaceBook

Dismiss Notice
  6. CHUM Store

Pay Tiger Shark Dues. Pay for Trips. Buy CHUM Merchandise.

CHUM Store

Dismiss Notice
  7. DAM CHUMmers

Get special CHUM swag by Diving Every Month. Become a

DAM CHUMmer
    Dismiss Notice
  8. 2018 Canada

CHUM's Canada Bound. Join us Summer 2018 for:

Eau Canada
    Dismiss Notice
  9. Philippine Phantasy 2018

Join CHUM as we:

Try to find Nemo. NOTE: This thread is only open to Tiger Sharks until August 21st
    Dismiss Notice
  10. October 2017 Meeting

Bucket List Diving - Our speaker will be Morad Hassan from OTA Diving & Travel:

Egypt & diving the Red Sea

Dismiss Notice
  11. Blue Lagoon - Oct 21st

CHUM October Dive Outing at:

Blue Lagoon

Dismiss Notice
  12. CHUM B.O.D. Nominations

Nominations are open for:

CHUM VP & Treasure positions

Dismiss Notice

Allergies\Sinus and Diving

Discussion in 'Dive Medicine' started by Blackhawksq, Feb 15, 2014.

1. Blackhawksq

Blackhawksq New Member

It's general knowledge that you don't want to dive while congested from sinus or allergies. The problem is I've been congested for a year straight. (The allergist wants me to start getting 3 shots, twice a week, for 2 years in HOPES that it will clear it up.) While in Belize last week I chose to try and dive. It didn't turn out so well and I called the dive after a whole 2 minutes... I know I can't be the only one out there with this. Have you had this problem what has worked for you?

2. dutch

dutch Active Member

I used to have severe allergies and took shots once a week. This was early teens. I later took Sudafed to help open things up but actually, that is not the best way to handle it. I do tend to use a salt water rinse of the sinuses when I am having some real difficulties. I would suggest you try a Nettie pot and rinse your sinuses every day at least once if not more often. Do this for a week and then see what it looks like for congestion.

Have there been no tests done to see what you are reacting to at the moment? If you have signatures of several things you are reacting to, but only small sigs, then the cumulative effect is sometimes synergistic... And did something change a year ago when you started stopping up? New cat, dog, perfume, soap, car...

3. Blackhawksq

Blackhawksq New Member

Thanks for the response Dutch. They've performed a scartch and claim i'm allergic to everything under the sun. He can't explain why it started a year ago since nothing has really changed.

4. Sushi Boy

Sushi Boy DAM CHUMmer

My sister didn't develop allergies until her 40's. I'm hoping the same doesn't happen to me. :eek:

Some friends of mine who are into the Paleo diet swear that they don't experience allergies when eating Paleo, but say their allergies creep back once they get back on a "regular" diet. Personally, I'd have to be pretty desperate to go Paleo. I'm too much of a foodie.

5. Blackhawksq

Blackhawksq New Member

I'll look up the diet. I wonder if I do it for a week before the dive trip if it would work. I've heard different reviews about the shots... Everything from they worked great and I no longer have allergies, to went through that for 2 years and still have all the allergies don't waste your time... I even heard "I was on it for 15 years! It worked great but never fully cured me, It got to the point that I can walk without dieing though."

I guess I will probably try them. It seems it's either that or give up diving.