Looking for something to do:

Upcoming CHUM Events

Dismiss Notice
  3. Where CHUM Dives

CHUM dive trips, trip reports, dive buddy board and more:

Where CHUM Dives

Dismiss Notice
  4. CHUM Officers

Questions, Suggestions, Want to Lead a CHUM Trip or Learn about the CHUM Officers? Contact us:

Your CHUM Board of Directors

Dismiss Notice
  5. CHUM Facebook

Like and Follow us:

CHUM FaceBook

Dismiss Notice
  6. CHUM Store

Pay Tiger Shark Dues. Pay for Trips. Buy CHUM Merchandise.

CHUM Store

Dismiss Notice
  7. DAM CHUMmers

Get special CHUM swag by Diving Every Month. Become a

DAM CHUMmer
    Dismiss Notice
  8. Hawaii

CHUM is headed to Hawaii in September! To find out how you can join us in this exciting and beautiful destination

click hereMolikini Crater
    Dismiss Notice
  9. June 2017 CHUM Flower Gardens Trip

Join CHUM dives the National Marine Sanctuary Flower Gardens June 3rd - 4th
    Dismiss Notice
  10. 2018 Canada

CHUM's Canada Bound. Join us Summer 2018 for:

Eau Canada
    Dismiss Notice
  11. August 2017 CHUM Flower Gardens Trip

Join CHUM dives the National Marine Sanctuary Flower Gardens August 5-6
    Dismiss Notice
  12. Jimmy Buffet Concert

Join CHUM at the Cynthia Woods Mitchell Pavilion for Jimmy Buffet - June 8th
    Dismiss Notice
  13. Galveston June 10

Saturday, June 10th, CHUM's heading to Galveston:

Marine Biology Boat Tour
    Dismiss Notice

Booty for Bonaire – a chance to help

Discussion in 'CHUM Gives' started by Sushi Boy, Feb 19, 2014.

1. Sushi Boy

Sushi Boy DAM CHUMmer

Awesome, thanks! :) They're packed and ready to go.

2. Heidi Ho

Heidi Ho Pooh Staff Member

I just uploaded the pic of the booty that Texan Scuba gave me - 16 shortys, 16 snorkels, 12 masks, a couple of weight belts and the red bag that is underneath the snorks. Very cool!

And of course, the purple peace sign covered backpacks that I bought!

3. Sushi Boy

Sushi Boy DAM CHUMmer

That is awesome!!! :piratewithhat2:

Let's give a shout-out to everyone who has pitched in on this, be it by donating, helping pick things up, or offering to tote stuff to Bonaire. It's truly been a team effort and this is the kind of thing that makes me proud to be a CHUMmer! We're going to have a BUNCH of stuff for the kids and that's a great feeling. :cool:

We're confirmed to drop the things off between 2-3 pm on Friday April 11th. Where we need to go is only a 5 minute drive from our condos. If you'd rather be diving or touristing, that's no problem at all. Please don't feel obligated to join us when we drop the items off, but everyone is definitely welcome. The more, the merrier!

4. Heidi Ho

What he said....

5. Heidi Ho

my suitcase got heavier last night by 4 pair of fins and 2 more masks - I was gonna post a picture but it's the gear that's in RH's pic. :piratewithhat2:

6. Sushi Boy

Sushi Boy DAM CHUMmer

Very proud to be a CHUMmer today. We delivered over 2 big suitcases full of dive gear, backpacks, bags, etc to Jong Bonaire. They were very appreciative. Angeline gave us a tour of their facility and explained what it is they do. More later, including several pics, but here's one of the booty that we were able to bring them. Thanks so much to everyone who was involved in the project! :cool:

DSCN7770.JPG

7. Sushi Boy

Sushi Boy DAM CHUMmer

Jong Bonaire sent a very nice email this morning:

Greetings Roger

I am Alan Gross, treasurer of Jong Bonaire. When I went to the office this morning I was delighted to see the huge pile of gear you donated to help our teens. We try to help as many Bonairean teens get their C cards and then more advanced trainings. Our hope is that they develop a better appreciation for the amazing resource we have in our reef and also to encourage as many as possible to continue and become dive professionals.

We get good support from the local and Dutch governments but still must raise about 20% of our annual budget through donations. Thanks to your generosity we can use some of those funds for other purposes since we will not have to replace all the gear that wears out each year. Thank you again for your donation.

Again thanks on behalf of all the 250+ teens at Jong Bonaire.

Regards

Alan

8. Sushi Boy

Sushi Boy DAM CHUMmer

Hey, check it out! Jong Bonaire put out a press release that was picked up by Extra, Bonaire's largest newspaper. :happyeyepatch:

Also on pg 12 of this online link.

bonaire newspaper 2.jpg

9. Heidi Ho

Great tour

What a great way to spend an hour or so - touring Jong Bonaire. Such good work they are doing there - it's a really clean and modern facility created for the Bonaire kids as an after school program. Among other programs, they have a computer lab, skateboard park, ping pong tables, basketball court and of course, mandatory homework time :p. We got to see them give out the Kid of the Week certificate - he was really happy to get it and along with the certificate, he got a coupon for a meal - very nice indeed.

As was explained to me (and as the treasurer says in his letter to us), our donations mean that they can reallocate the money they were going to spend on gear to something else they need; very cool.

This really was a true team effort; thanks again to everyone who donated gear, time, money, transportation, etc. I posted a few pics in the gallery.