Looking for something to do:

Upcoming CHUM Events

Dismiss Notice
  3. Where CHUM Dives

CHUM dive trips, trip reports, dive buddy board and more:

Where CHUM Dives

Dismiss Notice
  4. CHUM Officers

Questions, Suggestions, Want to Lead a CHUM Trip or Learn about the CHUM Officers? Contact us:

Your CHUM Board of Directors

Dismiss Notice
  5. CHUM Facebook

Like and Follow us:

CHUM FaceBook

Dismiss Notice
  6. CHUM Store

Pay Tiger Shark Dues. Pay for Trips. Buy CHUM Merchandise.

CHUM Store

Dismiss Notice
  7. DAM CHUMmers

Get special CHUM swag by Diving Every Month. Become a

DAM CHUMmer
    Dismiss Notice
  8. Hawaii

CHUM is headed to Hawaii in September! To find out how you can join us in this exciting and beautiful destination

click hereMolikini Crater
    Dismiss Notice
  9. 2018 Canada

CHUM's Canada Bound. Join us Summer 2018 for:

Eau Canada
    Dismiss Notice
  10. CHUM cheers on Roller Derby

CHUM cheers on Roller Derby! - September 30th
    Dismiss Notice
  11. Philippine Phantasy 2018

Join CHUM as we:

Try to find Nemo. NOTE: This thread is only open to Tiger Sharks until August 21st
    Dismiss Notice
  12. September 2017 meeting

Monthly Meeting, Thursday, September 21st at Jake's Sports Bar. Our speaker is

Jordan Frisby with the Port of the Houston
    Dismiss Notice

CHUM, Flower Gardens August 4th-6th

Discussion in 'CHUM Dive Trips and Events' started by LegoBloxs, Mar 28, 2017.

1. LegoBloxs

LegoBloxs Tiger Shark

As tradition dictates CHUM will be doing a second trip in August for those who couldn't make the June trip, just want to go diving again or those who don't need any reason whatsoever. This year CHUM is returning to the Flower Gardens the weekend August 4th thru 6th.

Departure is from Freeport August 4th, early boarding begins at 7:30 pm. The dock space will be needed for unloading from the previous trip, cleaning and restocking so be sure to give them some room and not arrive and unload earlier than 7:00 pm. We return to the dock on Sunday, August 6th between 5:00 and 6:00 pm.
    Dive schedule is Saturday 2 morning dives on the West Bank of the Flower Gardens, 2 afternoon dives on the East Bank and 1 night dive. Move to Stetson Bank during the night and make 2 morning dives on Stetson before getting underway for Freeport. As with anything else dive this is subject to the whims of the weather and schedule/sites may need to be adjusted.
    We have spots for 9 divers + our julie, Legobloxs.

You can find more detail at these handy links:

CHUM's Flower Gardens primer here.
    The Fling website is http://flingcharters.com/
    Directions to the dock are on the Fling's contact page at http://flingcharters.com/contact.asp
    Or if you can't find what your looking for please feel free to PM me. Sorry, I don't do a long range forecast but will be making sacrifices to the weather gods, isn't it all part of the fun :)

Cost & Payment Schedule:

$585 Tiger Sharks ($603 via Paypal or credit card) and $620 ($639 via Paypal or credit card) for Nurse Sharks (includes a 1 year Tiger Shark membership). Nitrox is $65 ($68 via Paypal). Included in the cost are tanks, air, meals and drinks - soda and beer are an additional charge. Please note that we assume all divers are using Nitrox, so the payment for Nitrox has been included in the "first payment" subscription. If not planning on using Nitrox, please let me know.

If not Nitrox certified, please consider it prior to this trip as it requires repetitive deep dives.

Note: payments are only refundable in the event of trip cancellation or if there is someone else to take your place on the trip.

Deposits:
    May meeting - May 18th - Tiger Sharks $355 ($367 via Paypal or credit card), Nurse Sharks $360 ($372 via Paypal or credit card)
    June meeting - June 15th - remaining balance

Payment Method:
    By check: payable to CHUM, handed to the Treasurer or mailed to CHUM (P.O. Box 980573, Houston, Texas 77098),
    Credit card: We can scan your credit card at a meeting.
    Paypal - be sure to use the August links.

Enrollment for Tiger Sharks is now open so snap up your spot now - it will open to Nurse Sharks the last week of April.

Pools open, who's in?

1. Legobloxs - Nitrox - julie
    2. K-Jenn Divers - Nitrox - Paid in full
    3. Ms KJenn Dives - Nitrox - Paid in full
    4. Turtle Hugger - Nitrox - Paid in full
    5. SashimiSimms - Nitrox - Paid in full
    6. DeepGeek - Nitrox - Paid in full
    7. Pegleg - Nitrox - Deposit Paid
    8. Watermonkee - Nitrox - Paid in full (June roll-over)
    9. Freeswim - AIR - Paid in full
    10. Tchula - Nitrox - Paid in full
    11. Cajun Diver - Nitrox - Paid in full (June roll-over)
    12. Seaagg05 -

Waitlist:
    1. Idratherbegolfing

Last edited: Jul 11, 2017
  2. PegLeg

PegLeg Tiger Shark

I'll know by the May meeting, maybe sooner.

3. Ms KJenn Dives

Ms KJenn Dives veep Staff Member

K-Jenn Divers (Alan) and I (Ms KJenn Dives, aka Brenda) are in.
    We'll pay our deposits at the May meeting.

4. turtlehugger

turtlehugger Tiger Shark

I (Jennifer Braaten) and Andrew Simmons are in! Will send payment with my parents to meeting in May.

Ms KJenn Dives likes this.
  5. turtlehugger

turtlehugger Tiger Shark

Andrew Simmons = SashimiSimms

6. LegoBloxs

LegoBloxs Tiger Shark

Updated, thank you

7. DeepGeek

DeepGeek Tiger Shark

In with Nitrox please!

8. watermonkee

watermonkee CHUM Secretary Staff Member

In with Nitrox!

9. PegLeg

PegLeg Tiger Shark

Move me to the "In" column with Nitrox!

10. LegoBloxs

LegoBloxs Tiger Shark

Three spots left guys, better grab those spots.

11. chairmanTARAC

chairmanTARAC Member

No side trip to the Kracken?

12. Ms KJenn Dives

In February, the Fling let us know that they were looking into how to fit the Kraken into the 2-day weekend trips. I've emailed them for an update and will let you know what I find out.

DivingDoug likes this.
  13. watermonkee

watermonkee CHUM Secretary Staff Member

I grabbed mine per my post on Apr 3. Thanks!

14. ReefHound

ReefHound Divemaster

Weather permitting, this upcoming weekend will be the first Stetson/Kraken trip. I'll be on it as DM. There are also several Thursday/Friday Stetson/Kraken trips on the schedule, June 8-9 and June 22-23. Unfortunately, there's no way to add it in to a normal weekend trip without giving up one of the FG banks and the platform dive, or give up Stetson, and that's just not happening.

15. Ms KJenn Dives

I received basically the same info as Reefhound, just a tad bit more optimistic... "Right now [they] don't think we will be able to put it on a regular weekend trip.... Once... full time captains are all back starting Memorial weekend we might get a better idea what we can do."

That being said, K-Jenn Divers and I had a conflict the weekend of CHUM's June Flower Gardens trip and we're booked on the June 8-9 Stetson/Kraken trip.

16. ReefHound

ReefHound Divemaster

Tossing around possible itineraries. Keeping in my current transit times are 9.5 hrs dock to WB, 30 min WB to EB, 4 hrs EB to Stetson, and 5 hrs Stetson to dock. And that Kraken is close to Stetson, maybe 10-15 miles closer to shore.

Hitting Kraken on way out is not really feasible. To arrive at 6am you wouldn't leave the dock til 1am. Which is no big deal and might even be advantageous. But leaving Kraken at noon Saturday you wouldn't reach FG til 4pm so it would be a 4 dive day, so you lose a dive, 6 dive trip. And leaving FG at noon Sunday gets you back to dock at 9:30pm which would be brutal on those driving back to Dallas or Louisiana (or force them to overnight). This is why they do Stetson last.

Current itinerary
    Depart dock 8:30pm, arrive WB at 6am, dives at 7 and 10.
    30 min. to platform, dive at 1. 10 min to EB, dives at 5 and 8.
    Depart EB at 2am, arrive Stetson 6am, dives at 7 and 10.
    Depart Stetson at noon, back at dock at 5.

Option 1, same as current except substituting Kraken for Stetson.
    Depart EB at 1:30 instead of 2, arrive at Kraken at 6am, dives at 7 and 10.
    Depart Kraken at noon, back at dock at 4:30.

Option 2, same as current except substituting a dive at Kraken for second dive at Stetson.
    Depart EB at 2am, arrive Stetson 6am, dive at 7, 30 min to Kraken, dive at 10ish.
    Depart Kraken at noon, back at dock at 4:30.(shameless plug - reward your DMs for the extra boat setup and breakdown)

Option 3, sacrificing EB or WB, and platform (you lose a dive, 6 dive trip)
    Depart dock 8:30pm, arrive WB/EB at 6am, dives at 7 and 10.
    Depart WB/EB at noon, arrive Stetson 4pm, dives at 5 and 8.
    Depart Stetson at 5:30am, arrive Kraken 6am, dive at 7 and 10.
    Depart Kraken at noon, back at dock at 4:30.

17. ReefHound

ReefHound Divemaster

Also, the Kraken was not sunk at the time shops/clubs booked trips last fall so to change the itineray would require all the shops booked for the trip to agree.

18. LegoBloxs

LegoBloxs Tiger Shark

Noted.

19. LegoBloxs

LegoBloxs Tiger Shark

BUMP... two spots left.

20. LegoBloxs

LegoBloxs Tiger Shark

The trip is now full, but don't forget the wait list is there in case there are drop outs.
    Final payments due by June's meeting.