Looking for something to do:

Upcoming CHUM Events

Dismiss Notice
  3. Where CHUM Dives

CHUM dive trips, trip reports, dive buddy board and more:

Where CHUM Dives

Dismiss Notice
  4. CHUM Officers

Questions, Suggestions, Want to Lead a CHUM Trip or Learn about the CHUM Officers? Contact us:

Your CHUM Board of Directors

Dismiss Notice
  5. CHUM Facebook

Like and Follow us:

CHUM FaceBook

Dismiss Notice
  6. CHUM Swag

Get Your CHUM Swag Here. Browse through our own store to pick up great swag for all the ocean lovers and scubadivers you know. Purchasing items supports the club - even if it's not CHUM branded. There are items for everyone so go pick something out today.

CHUM Swag

Dismiss Notice
  7. DAM CHUMmers

Get special CHUM swag by Diving Every Month. Become a

DAM CHUMmer
    Dismiss Notice
  8. August 2018 CHUM Flower Gardens Trip

CHUM takes over the Fling!

Join the takeover!
    Dismiss Notice
  9. Going Down on Travis

Join us as we go down on:

Travis
    Dismiss Notice
  10. Become A Tiger Shark and More

Become a full fledged CHUM member by paying only $35/year to become a Tiger Shark, pay for trips or even pick up an extra CHUM T-shirt or CHUM patch here.

CHUM Payments

Dismiss Notice

DAM Chummers Keep On Diving

Discussion in 'Where CHUM Dives' started by DivingDoug, Jan 7, 2018.

1. DivingDoug

DivingDoug President Staff Member

Once again the incredible DAM Chummers diving challenge is back to keep all you chummers in the water.

How does it work?

DAM stands for 'Dive a Month'. It's a challenge in our club to dive once a month for the entire year. Your dive doesn't have to be part of a CHUM outing - although those are always the most fun. You can dive anywhere and with anyone as long as you dive once a month.

As you complete your dive each month, just report back here on this thread and let us know. Even though we are pirates, we run this program on the honor system. Feel free to add a few details and post pictures in the gallery too - we'd love to know what you were up to. It's a great way for us all to share in your success.

We encourage everyone to use the Dive Buddy Board anytime you want to get wet. You can also read last year's DAM thread if you're curious.

In addition to showing off your love of diving, we give you .... well, actually you earn, CHUM swag that you can show off.

If you've successfully completed the first year, you'll earn a DAM CHUMMER patch.
    [​IMG]

If you've successfully completed the second year, you'll earn a DAM CHUMMER hat or visor with the DAM CHUMMER logo and your screen name embroidered on it.

[​IMG]
    [sample only]

If you've successfully completed the third year, you'll earn a DAM CHUMMER polo shirt with the DAM CHUMMER logo embroidered on the front, the Texas dive flag embroidered on the back of the collar, and your screen name embroidered on the sleeve. They are Port Authority Rapid Dry Polos, with a 60/40 cotton/poly blend and are available in either a Unisex or Ladies version. You'll have your choice of any of the available colors; here is an example of the Unisex polo in blue.

[​IMG]

If you've successfully completed the fourth year, you'll earn a DAM CHUMMER microfiber towel embroidered with the DAM CHUMMER logo and your screen name. We're just about to award our first DAM CHUMMER towels so when we do, I'll post a pic.

If you've successfully completed the fifth year, you'll earn a jacket embroidered with a DAM CHUMMER logo and your screen name.

[Picture to be added soon]

After your 5th year, you'll continue to earn cool swag each year. We just haven't figured out what that swag will be yet ;).

If you can't do it every single year, not a problem; the years that you dive do not have to be consecutive. If you were a DAM CHUMMER one year, then took a year off then did it for a second year, you'd have earned the second year swag.

Also, for those who can't quite swing diving for 12 consecutive months, we have (DAM Close) - diving 11 of the 12 months - and (Still DAM Good) - diving 10 of the 12 months. While you won't have earned any swag, you will have earned recognition at our January meeting.

The only requirement to enter is that you must be a Tiger Shark when you started and when you completed the challenge.

It's a great program and a fun way to stay in the water all year.

Who's up for diving down?

Last edited: Jan 18, 2018
  2. DivingDoug

This year's DAM Chummers are:

Second year DAM CHUMMERS:

Seaagg05 (Jan, Feb, Mar, Apr, May, Jun
    JSWeather4d (Jan, Feb, Mar, Apr, May, Jun

Third year DAM CHUMMERS:

wanderwoman (Jan, Feb, Mar, Apr, May, Jun, Jul
    Siren (Jan, Feb, Mar, Apr, May, Jun
    24% (Jan, Feb, Mar, Apr, May, Jun

Fourth year DAM CHUMMERS:
    watermonkee (Jan, Feb, Mar, Apr, May, Jun, Jul

Six year DAM CHUMMERS:
    LegoBloxs (Jan, Feb, Mar, Apr, May, Jun, Jul
    birddog (Jan, Feb, Mar, Apr, May, Jun, Jul
    Sushi Boy (Jan, Feb, Mar, Apr, May, Jun, Jul
    ReefHound (Jan, Feb, Mar, Apr, May, Jun, Jul

DAM Close:
    PegLeg (Jan, Feb, Mar, Apr, May

DAM fine bunch of people, eh?

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 16, 2018 at 8:42 PM
    watermonkee likes this.
  3. Seaagg05

Seaagg05 Vice President Staff Member

January complete on 1/1 in the Comal

4. JSWeather4d

JSWeather4d Tiger Shark

Well that was refreshing. The bottom temperatures at Blue Lagoon were 48 degrees this last weekend. Anyway, I've got January done.

5. Ms KJenn Dives

Ms KJenn Dives Tiger Shark

In case you missed it.
    Post by ReefHound re: January 1, 2018 Dive:

Mods can move this post when the 2018 DAM thread is started but wanted to say that some of us are off and running.

SeaAgg05, pegleg, deep bubbles, watermonkee, and myself reefhound have knocked out January 2018.

We parked in Prince Solms park this morning, walked a couple hundred yards in 26 deg F with light sleet to enter the Comal just below the chutes. We must have still been drunk because no sober person would ever willingly do this. Short and shallow dive but a dive it was. Water temp was cooler than the normal 71, some of us read mid-60's. But the diving was the easy part, once everyone's gear thawed out. Getting out was downright brutal. At least we had a condo on the river with stairs going into the water so exiting was faster (but excruciatingly cold). And there were a lot of stairs.

We have awarded ourselves the Sleet Diver Specialty.

watermonkee and Sushi Boy like this.
  6. DivingDoug

I added all the previous year's DAM CHUMMERS to this thread, so let me know if you want your name added (or removed).

JSWeather4d likes this.
  7. wanderwoman

wanderwoman Tiger Shark

Thank you for that! I'm definitely in!

8. Sushi Boy

Sushi Boy DAM CHUMmer

I'm DFS (down for six), DAM it.

January done at 288 Lake. 54 degrees underwater and it had warmed up topside from the high 30's to a balmy 45 degrees by the end of our dive.

Heidi Ho likes this.
  9. wanderwoman

wanderwoman Tiger Shark

January at 288 with SB.
    Can I just say I'm thrilled with my new dry suit???? My computer said it was 53 at depth. I was grateful that the sun was out and the temp had risen when we go out of the lake.

watermonkee, Seaagg05 and Heidi Ho like this.
  10. DivingDoug

Shame you won't be giving the drysuit a real workout up in Canada this summer :)

wanderwoman and Seaagg05 like this.
  11. birddog

birddog Tiger Shark

Legobloxs and myself got our January dives done today at The Meadows Center. Two nice dives on kettlemans which is definitely becoming my favorite site here. Lots of turtles and legoblxs saw a long nose gar at the start of our second dive while I saw one half way through the dive. The sites really did need cleaning and you could really see what you’d accomplished.

DivingDoug likes this.
  12. Cajun Diver

Cajun Diver Tiger Shark

Well since I won't be able to get in a January dive it looks like I'm out for this year. I will be at the dive show in Frisco this weekend... hmmm do they have a pool?

I will be off diving in Thailand in February so won't make that meeting. Guess I'll have to wait until March for the patch.

DivingDoug likes this.
  13. Ms KJenn Dives

Ms KJenn Dives Tiger Shark

Diving in Thailand - that’s definitely an excused absence from the meeting.
    [QUOTE="Cajun Diver, post: 87970,
    I will be off diving in Thailand in February so won't make that meeting. Guess I'll have to wait until March for the patch.[/QUOTE]

Cajun Diver likes this.
  14. PegLeg

PegLeg Tiger Shark

Completed my sleet diving cert @ the Comal 1/1/18.

watermonkee and Cajun Diver like this.
  15. Siren

Siren Tiger Shark

Our 2018 DAM CHUMmer Challenge is off and running!! 24% and I dove today at Blue Lagoon. Water was between 48-50 degrees, and visibility was pretty good - about 30' to 40' - we were the only divers there.

They are making some neat improvements. For starters, they are putting in a 50' covered (not enclosed) pool, which will be off to the left when you first come through the gates. They are pretty excited about it, since it will make doing classes there so much easier. There were also some bulldozers moving a lot of dirt around near Main Beach. Looks like they are making it a little more accessible for parking.

16. Siren

Siren Tiger Shark

Oh YAH --- 24% and I are the first CHUMmers to log our February dive. :D We went back to the Blue Lagoon and spent 76 minutes underwater. The water temp warmed up a tad, 50-51 degrees, and visibility was even clearer than last week - 35'-40' visibility. The sun was out so everything looked clearer, too. We were the only divers there today. Rain is expected in Huntsville tomorrow, so we wanted to take advantage of the visibility while we could.

GO, CHUM, GO! I know a lot of you are diving tomorrow! Have fun!!! :)

Sushi Boy likes this.
  17. Seaagg05

Seaagg05 Vice President Staff Member

Feb done, with a beautiful 56 min dive in Arch site and Kettlemans with a bunch of awesome Chummers

18. wanderwoman

wanderwoman Tiger Shark

Feb in the bag, Kettlemans and Arch at Spring Lake.

19. ReefHound

ReefHound Divemaster

watermonkee and reefhound also done with Cream of Wheat at Spring Lake. Then followed up with burgers and beers at AquaBrew. Was a group of us so might be one or two more posting soon.

20. LegoBloxs

LegoBloxs Tiger Shark

Birddog & myself went up to the Blue Lagoon this morning, as with Siren & 24% we had the place to ourselves. We won't mention the kids who had got their truck stuck on the access road above Nude Beach :rolleyes:.
    We did two dives working on some gear configuration ahead of this years big trip. We have been diving side mount almost exclusively since early 2016 so it was bit of getting back into the flow, I guess there's a lesson in there somewhere. Unfortunately we didn't get the same level of viz thanks to all the rain the last couple of days but it was still a generous 25ft or so. Water temp was still 50f but still very comfortable.

Siren likes this.