Looking for something to do:

Upcoming CHUM Events

Dismiss Notice
  3. Where CHUM Dives

CHUM dive trips, trip reports, dive buddy board and more:

Where CHUM Dives

Dismiss Notice
  4. CHUM Officers

Questions, Suggestions, Want to Lead a CHUM Trip or Learn about the CHUM Officers? Contact us:

Your CHUM Board of Directors

Dismiss Notice
  5. CHUM Facebook

Like and Follow us:

CHUM FaceBook

Dismiss Notice
  6. CHUM Swag

Get Your CHUM Swag Here. Browse through our own store to pick up great swag for all the ocean lovers and scubadivers you know. Purchasing items supports the club - even if it's not CHUM branded. There are items for everyone so go pick something out today.

CHUM Swag

Dismiss Notice
  7. DAM CHUMmers

Get special CHUM swag by Diving Every Month. Become a

DAM CHUMmer
    Dismiss Notice
  8. May Meeting

Join CHUM for the Monthly Meeting

Meeting Link

Dismiss Notice
  9. June 2017 CHUM Flower Gardens Trip

Who's got time for a Fling?

I DO!
    Dismiss Notice
  10. 2018 Canada

CHUM's Canada Bound. Join us Summer 2018 for:

Eau Canada
    Dismiss Notice
  11. Become A Tiger Shark and More

Become a full fledged CHUM member by paying only $35/year to become a Tiger Shark, pay for trips or even pick up an extra CHUM T-shirt or CHUM patch here.

CHUM Payments

Dismiss Notice

DAM Chummers Keep On Diving

Discussion in 'Where CHUM Dives' started by DivingDoug, Jan 7, 2018.

1. Sushi Boy

Sushi Boy DAM CHUMmer

April logged at 288 Lake, 64 degrees at depth. Viz was pretty good, maybe 7-8 feet except on the windy south side of the lake where it dropped to about a foot.

Seaagg05 likes this.
  2. Hawkeye Mark

Hawkeye Mark Iowa Hawkeye Fan

I did this dive also(although I am not participating in the DAM program). Was pretty chilly

3. JSWeather4d

JSWeather4d Tiger Shark

April done with a handful of dives at Blue Lagoon this last weekend. The water temp (69) was higher than the air temp.

Seaagg05 and watermonkee like this.
  4. watermonkee

watermonkee CHUM Secretary Staff Member

ReefHound and watermonkee dived Spring Lake's Archaeology site and Deep Hole last Saturday, 4/21/18, in a single dive. There was a LOT of work to do. We accepted and accomplished our mission!

Seaagg05 likes this.
  5. wanderwoman

wanderwoman Tiger Shark

May's done. Sinko de Mayo at 288 with Sushi Boy. 2 chilly dives. Murky in the middle, but the perimeter had about 10 foot viz.

6. Sushi Boy

Sushi Boy DAM CHUMmer

Yep, me too. Temp fluctuated but I showed an avg of 72 at 15 ffw.

7. LegoBloxs

LegoBloxs Tiger Shark

It's looking like a busy month for Birddog and myself so we decided to get our May dive in early with a couple of dives at Blue Lagoon on Cinco de Mayo. Viz was, well, bad and a sharp thermocline at 20ft.

8. Seaagg05

Seaagg05 Vice President Staff Member

Pegleg and I got our May dives in at Lake Travis, with a very chilly 53 degree bottom temp.

9. JSWeather4d

JSWeather4d Tiger Shark

May dives done at Blue Lagoon. It's almost warm enough to start thinking about skipping the wetsuit (79 degrees).

Sushi Boy likes this.
  10. PegLeg

PegLeg Tiger Shark

Viz dropped to -0 ft @ 100 ft, kept running into trees and something Seaag05 said was a boat.

11. Siren

Siren Tiger Shark

May dive DONE for me and 24%.

Today, we dove at Gilboa Quarry in north-western Ohio. It's an interesting place. Not many signs indicating where it is or where to go once you get there. I called this morning and asked the young girl what the current visibility was. I swear, she looked out the window, and said "I don't know, but it looks clear out there." I asked what the water temps were, and she said "oh, we don't monitor that." When we arrived, we filled out waivers to which Douglas said "I am pretty sure I bought houses with less paperwork." We looked at the map of the quarry, and the young girl behind the desk didn't know which way was north. So we paid our $28 a person fee, and then she asked if we wanted to drive our truck to where the docks were. We said "well, sure," to which she replied "that will be an additional $12." So $68 later, we jumped in the water.

BRRRRRRR.....water temps were between painfully cold (44 degrees) and numb (38 degrees). Imagine a dive site that is about twice the size of the training area at Spring Lake - now dump a school bus, a plane, a helicopter, a few boats, a Dr. Pepper machine, a motorcycle, and the biggest platform we've ever seen into that small area. I kid you not, you descend onto the platform at 22', and once your eyes adjust through the MILLIONS of fish swarming around you, you see every single thing listed above all at the same time. You literally could spin 360 degrees around, and see it all. Visibility was quite good - probably 50' or more. But once you got to the wall, which drops down to 120'+ (not allowed to dive it without filing a deep dive plan in the office prior to diving), visibility turned to gray. Douglas thinks the quarry was turning over; warm water sinking, cold water rising and mixing into murky.

Lets talk about the fish. You can buy baggies of fish food at the front desk for $2 a bag.....and apparently EVERY DIVER feeds the fish. They were worse than mosquitoes. God forbid you reach for your pocket, because they literally started pecking at my dry suit. Douglas and I stopped counting how many times we accidentally KICKED a fish. KICKED. As in, they ran into our fins all the time!!!! SO. MANY. DANG. FISH. Not in a good way. TOO MANY aggressive fish.

And it was cold. Very cold.

50' for 37 minutes.

wanderwoman and Cajun Diver like this.