1. Blue Ocean? No, Red Sea We're diving the Red Sea in June 2019 and we'd love to have you join us!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Welcome to CHUM

New to CHUM or the CHUM website, visit our: Welcome to CHUM page

Dismiss Notice
  3. Upcoming Events

Looking for something to do:

Upcoming CHUM Events

Dismiss Notice
  4. Where CHUM Dives

CHUM dive trips, trip reports, dive buddy board and more:

Where CHUM Dives

Dismiss Notice
  5. CHUM Officers

Questions, Suggestions, Want to Lead a CHUM Trip or Learn about the CHUM Officers? Contact us:

Your CHUM Board of Directors

Dismiss Notice
  6. CHUM Facebook

Like and Follow us:

CHUM FaceBook

Dismiss Notice
  7. CHUM Swag

Get Your CHUM Swag Here. Browse through our own store to pick up great swag for all the ocean lovers and scubadivers you know. Purchasing items supports the club - even if it's not CHUM branded. There are items for everyone so go pick something out today.

CHUM Swag

Dismiss Notice
  8. DAM CHUMmers

Get special CHUM swag by Diving Every Month. Become a

DAM CHUMmer
    Dismiss Notice
  9. Going Down on Travis

Join us as we go down on:

Travis
    Dismiss Notice
  10. Become A Tiger Shark and More

Become a full fledged CHUM member by paying only $35/year to become a Tiger Shark, pay for trips or even pick up an extra CHUM T-shirt or CHUM patch here.

CHUM Payments

Dismiss Notice
  11. Where CHUM Dives

Join us on the first CHUMfest!

THE First-Ever CHUMfest on the Comal River Oct. 12-14, 2018

Dismiss Notice

DAM Chummers Keep On Diving

Discussion in 'Where CHUM Dives' started by DivingDoug, Jan 7, 2018.

1. Siren

Siren Tiger Shark

August DAM CHUM dive logged for both me and 24%!! So the plan was to join the local dive club up here on their weekly Wednesday night dives. This week was going to be at popular Gull Lake hosting an underwater poker tournament, but we looked at the weather forecast for today, and decided to go a day early.

Yesterday, we dove Gull Lake in Hickory Corners, Michigan. The access area is at Ross Township Park, which is quite beautiful. Gull Lake is popular because it has lots of fun things sunk for the scuba divers right beyond the swim area.

6586687.jpg
    We were pretty stoked after watching a few YouTube videos and seeing pictures of what the clarity could be. But our visibility was quite bad - 10' at most. The bottom composition is very silty, and the winds were pretty strong yesterday, perhaps stirring up the bottom more. We dove in our wet suits, and we sorta wished we dove dry. Water temps at the surface were mid-70's; about 68 degrees at 30'; dropped to 64 degrees around 32'; and a CRAZY THERMOCLINE drop to 53 degrees at 38'. BRRRRRRRRRR......Our max depth was 41' because we just couldn't take the cold. Spent 61 minutes underwater, and saw a boat, old railroad tracks and signs, a toilet, a basketball hoop, a SUBWAY sign with a small Spongebob Squarepants sitting a top of it. We couldn't find the Ice Shanty, and it was toooooo cold to find the other few bikes, boats, cars, telephone booth, and Christmas Tree Farm complete with Santa. Oh well.

More than halfway done on our 3rd year of being a DAM CHUMMER! WHOO HOOO!!

2. Heidi Ho

Heidi Ho Grand Pooh Staff Member

Yay for you guys!

3. ReefHound

ReefHound Divemaster

I guess I should explicitly say watermonkee and reefhound completed August at BL last weekend.

Ms KJenn Dives and Seaagg05 like this.
  4. PegLeg

PegLeg Tiger Shark

I missed June & July but got back into the water last weekend @ BI WITH the gang.

5. JSWeather4d

JSWeather4d Tiger Shark

August done with 4 dives last weekend (August 18 & 19) at Blue Lagoon.

watermonkee, Jen and Seaagg05 like this.
  6. birddog

birddog Tiger Shark

August done for Legobloxs and myself. Two one hour plus dives at the Meadows Center. The viz was great but the sites really need cleaning. So if you’ve done your volunteer dive course and need to get a dive organized for September please consider helping out here.

Ms KJenn Dives and LegoBloxs like this.
  7. LegoBloxs

LegoBloxs Tiger Shark

Surfur?

8. Seaagg05

Seaagg05 Vice President Staff Member

September dive logged in the beautiful cenote Angelita

Jen and Ms KJenn Dives like this.
  9. ReefHound

ReefHound Divemaster

Watermonkee and Reefhound done on Columbia Pinnacles and Shallows
    in Cozumel with seaagg05

watermonkee, Hawkeye Mark and Jen like this.
  10. PegLeg

PegLeg Tiger Shark

Missed June & July but did two in August Blue Lagoon with CHUM buddies and Roanoke Aquarium Shark Tank, Roanoke, NC.

DSC04558Copy.jpg DSC04587Copy.jpg

watermonkee, Jen, Siren and 1 other person like this.
  11. Sushi Boy

Sushi Boy DAM CHUMmer

More to follow, but Sept has been logged on a surprisingly nice afternoon after a crazy fall thunderstorm.

watermonkee and Seaagg05 like this.
  12. wanderwoman

wanderwoman Tiger Shark

September dive logged at Lake Longhorn on Sunday. Nice long dive, not so nice viz after the storm.

watermonkee, Sushi Boy and Seaagg05 like this.
  13. birddog

birddog Tiger Shark

September dive logged for legobloxs and myself at Blue Lagoon. Viz wasn’t the best but we got 3 dives in and met the office cats.

Seaagg05 likes this.
  14. Siren

Siren Tiger Shark

September DAM CHUM dive logged today for both 24% and me at Haigh Quarry in Kankakee, IL. We had a nice long 89 minute dive hanging out at around 20'. Water temp was between 71-75 degrees. We swam with a big albino catfish, and a very friendly tagalong large mouth bass. The weather was perfect, and the visibility underwater was okay - maybe 10-15 feet tops. We found a huge rock crusher, a drill, and a large fuel tank; a creepy underwater bear, and a garden of hands (which I have dubbed "a round of applause"). Today's dive makes 33 months in a row!! YAY!

20180919_125140.jpg DSCF1164.JPG DSCF1179.JPG DSCF1202.JPG