1. Welcome to CHUM

New to CHUM or the CHUM website, visit our: Welcome to CHUM page

Dismiss Notice
  2. Upcoming Events

Looking for something to do:

Upcoming CHUM Events

Dismiss Notice
  3. Spring Lake - June 22

Interested in being a Volunteer Diver? CHUM will be diving scenic 72°F Spring Lake, June 22nd 2019

Learn more about the Dive Authorization Class and how to join us for diving Spring Lake
    Dismiss Notice
  4. April 18th, 2019

May monthly meeting at Jake's Sports Bar: Red Sea Fish ID Trivia Night!.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Blue Ocean? No, Red Sea We're diving the Red Sea in June 2019 and we'd love to have you join us!
    Dismiss Notice
  6. CHUM Facebook

Like and Follow us:

CHUM FaceBook

Dismiss Notice
  7. DAM CHUMmers

Get special CHUM swag by Diving Every Month. Become a

DAM CHUMmer
    Dismiss Notice
  8. Become A Tiger Shark and More

Become a full fledged CHUM member by paying only $35/year to become a Tiger Shark, pay for trips or even pick up an extra CHUM T-shirt or CHUM patch here.

CHUM Payments

Dismiss Notice

DAM It, Let's Dive - DAM CHUMMERS 2019

Discussion in 'Where CHUM Dives' started by Heidi Ho, Jan 4, 2019.

1. Heidi Ho

Heidi Ho CHUM Fan

You are all so incredibly dedicated; couldn't let your first dive of 2019 pass without the thread.

Have fun!

2. ReefHound

ReefHound CHUM President Staff Member

DAM stands for 'Dive a Month'. It's a challenge in our club to dive once a month for the entire year. The goal is to encourage more diving! It's a great program and a fun way to stay in the water all year.

DAM Rules

The only requirement to enter is that you must be a Tiger Shark when you started and when you completed the challenge.

As you complete your dive each month, just report back here on this thread and let us know. Even though we are pirates, we run this program on the honor system. Feel free to add a few details and post pictures in the gallery too - we'd love to know what you were up to. It's a great way for us all to share in your success.

Your dive doesn't have to be part of a CHUM outing - although those are always the most fun. You can dive anywhere and with anyone as long as you dive once a month.

CHUM will try to provide dive outings but that may not be possible in all months. We encourage everyone to use the Dive Buddy Board anytime you want to get wet.

Dives should be 'open water' or large Aquariums with exceptional dive sites (i.e. NBL) subject to board approval. No swimming pool or hot tub dives. We do not want to exclude any worthy diving but we want DAM CHUMmer to be an accomplishment.

If you can't do it every single year, not a problem; the years that you dive do not have to be consecutive. If you were a DAM CHUMMER one year, then took a year off then did it for a second year, you'd have earned the second year swag.

DAM Booty

In addition to bragging rights, you'll earn some cool stuff. Specific brands and styles depend upon the vendors at time of ordering, but below is the current award schedule.

Year 1, you'll earn a DAM CHUMMER patch.
    [​IMG]

Year 2, you'll earn a DAM CHUMMER hat or visor with the DAM CHUMMER logo and your screen name embroidered on it.
    [​IMG]

Year 3, you'll earn a DAM CHUMMER polo shirt with the DAM CHUMMER logo embroidered on the front, the Texas dive flag embroidered on the back of the collar, and your screen name embroidered on the sleeve. They are Port Authority Rapid Dry Polos, with a 60/40 cotton/poly blend and are available in either a Unisex or Ladies version. You'll have your choice of any of the available colors; here is an example of the Unisex polo in blue.
    [​IMG]

Year 4, you'll earn a DAM CHUMMER microfiber towel embroidered with the DAM CHUMMER logo and your screen name.
    [​IMG]

Year 5, you'll earn a jacket embroidered with a DAM CHUMMER logo and your screen name.
    [​IMG]

Year 6, you'll earn a BC Tag, embroidered with your screen name.
    [​IMG]
    sample

Year 7,
    you'll earn a special design T-shirt. The front logo will likely be the DAM CHUMmer logo. The back design is yet to be determined and may involve a member contest.
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    sample

Also, for those who can't quite swing diving for 12 consecutive months, we have (DAM Close) - diving 11 of the 12 months - and (Still DAM Good) - diving 10 of the 12 months. While you won't have earned any swag, you will have earned recognition at our January meeting.

Last edited: Jan 29, 2019
    Lakediver and birddog like this.
  3. ReefHound

2019 DAM Divers

First year DAM CHUMMERS:

Nagae (Jan, Feb, Mar, Apr, May)
    ScubaKitty (Jan, Feb, Mar, Apr, May)
    SilverBubbles (Jan, Feb, Mar, Apr, May)
    Jen aka LakeDiver (Jan, Feb, Mar, Apr, May)

Second year DAM CHUMMERS:

PegLeg (Jan, Feb, Mar, Apr, May)

Third year DAM CHUMMERS:

Fourth year DAM CHUMMERS:
    wanderwoman (Jan, Feb, Mar, Apr, May)
    Siren (Jan, Feb, Mar, Apr)
    24% (Jan, Feb, Mar, Apr)

Fifth year DAM CHUMMERS:
    watermonkee (Jan, Feb, Mar, Apr, May)

Sixth year DAM CHUMMERS:
    GWNDWN (Jan, Feb, Mar, Apr, May)

Seventh year DAM CHUMMERS:

LegoBloxs (Jan, Feb, Mar, Apr)
    birddog (Jan, Feb, Mar, Apr)
    Sushi Boy (Jan, Feb, Mar, Apr, May)
    ReefHound (Jan, Feb, Mar, Apr, May)

Pretty DAM Good:
    jpipes (Feb, Mar, Apr, May)

Last edited: May 19, 2019 at 3:30 PM
    SilverBubbles likes this.
  4. Sushi Boy

Sushi Boy DAM CHUMmer

Thanks Todd.

5. Heidi Ho

Heidi Ho CHUM Fan

Yes, thanks Todd - I just had time this am to get the initial post started so thanks for filling in the scoop.

6. PegLeg

PegLeg Active Member

January done. Did the Comal and the rapids - a little apprehension on my part - with Volans, Watermonkee, ReefHound, Legoboxs, and Birddog on NYD.

birddog, Siren, LegoBloxs and 2 others like this.
  7. ScubaKitty

ScubaKitty Tiger Shark

January dive in the books for Nagae and I. Spring lake my new fav place

SilverBubbles, Heidi Ho and Sushi Boy like this.
  8. Heidi Ho

Heidi Ho CHUM Fan

And you're off! :)

9. ReefHound

I updated the DAM log in post #3. I moved those who completed last year to the next level, kept those who didn't at the same level, and added a few to first year. Please review to make sure I have you in the correct year. Any newbies who add a January dive will automatically get added to First Year.

SilverBubbles and Sushi Boy like this.
  10. GWNDWN

GWNDWN Tiger Shark

January done at Lake Longhorn.

11. wanderwoman

wanderwoman Tiger Shark

Jan in the bag at Lake Longhorn. Water 57, viz 2 ft. Dry suit ... dry!

12. Sushi Boy

Sushi Boy DAM CHUMmer

D19A6DEE-5BAC-499A-BCDF-51A0F7C84995.jpeg Jan done at Wronghorn as well. Pretty happy with my new 7 mil. Even happier with the post-dive vittles at Island Flavorz.

birddog and Siren like this.
  13. SilverBubbles

SilverBubbles Tiger Shark

First dives of the year completed! Blue Heron Bridge in West Palm Beach. I'm not looking forward to going back to Texas because the water temperature out here was about 75F.

Sushi Boy, Heidi Ho and ReefHound like this.
  14. Heidi Ho

Heidi Ho CHUM Fan

very nice way to start the year!

SilverBubbles likes this.
  15. Siren

Siren Tiger Shark

We (24% and me) have officially kicked off our 4th Year DAM CHUM Challenge. Today, in our 37th month in a row of diving, we dove the Blue Lagoon. Apparently, we were the first divers to dive in 2019, and actually the first divers since December 18th when they closed for the holiday season. Water temps were between 51-53 degrees, and viz was way down - maybe 10'. I found the head of a skeleton laying at the base of the cooling tower, and Douglas located a random bandana. We properly head dressed the skeleton as a pirate and posed for pictures. 63 minutes underwater.

We Mighty DAM CHUM Pirates! ARGH!.jpg

****side note****

simply because it was recently brought up in another thread:
    .....let me copy and paste something that I wrote above:
    Water temps were between 51-53 degrees, and viz was way down - maybe 10'.

hahahahahahahah......I know, I know, but I'm just saying........maybe not all dives at the Blue Lagoon are as aquarium-like as others. :D :D :D

Last edited: Jan 11, 2019
  16. Lakediver

Lakediver Tiger Shark

Since I accidentally caused a ruckus about aquarium dives, now I feel obligated to do the damn DAM thing. So January dive logged at Epcot's Living Seas. Read all about it here.

17. Heidi Ho

Heidi Ho CHUM Fan

Awesome Jen!

18. ReefHound

Post #2 has been updated with new info.

We have year 7 booty determined! Check out the post to see it, along with updated model photos.

You speak, we listen. Aquarium dives now allowed!

Last edited: Jan 29, 2019
    Sushi Boy, Lakediver and Siren like this.
  19. ReefHound

Someone find me a pic in the gallery of a DAM CHUMMER modeling the polo shirt.

20. Sushi Boy

Sushi Boy DAM CHUMmer

Best I could find at quick glance was this one. I did notice that Holly took A LOT of pictures of the HPD Dive Team members that year...

Siren and ReefHound like this.