Looking for something to do:

Upcoming CHUM Events

Dismiss Notice
  3. Where CHUM Dives

CHUM dive trips, trip reports, dive buddy board and more:

Where CHUM Dives

Dismiss Notice
  4. CHUM Officers

Questions, Suggestions, Want to Lead a CHUM Trip or Learn about the CHUM Officers? Contact us:

Your CHUM Board of Directors

Dismiss Notice
  5. CHUM Facebook

Like and Follow us:

CHUM FaceBook

Dismiss Notice
  6. CHUM Swag

Get Your CHUM Swag Here. Browse through our own store to pick up great swag for all the ocean lovers and scubadivers you know. Purchasing items supports the club - even if it's not CHUM branded. There are items for everyone so go pick something out today.

CHUM Swag

Dismiss Notice
  7. DAM CHUMmers

Get special CHUM swag by Diving Every Month. Become a

DAM CHUMmer
    Dismiss Notice
  8. 2018 Canada

CHUM's Canada Bound. Join us Summer 2018 for:

Eau Canada
    Dismiss Notice
  9. Philippine Phantasy 2018

Dive with CHUM as we

Try to find Nemo. We're off to the Philippines and would love to have you join us.
    Dismiss Notice
  10. CHUM B.O.D. Nominations

Nominations are open for:

CHUM VP & Treasure positions

Dismiss Notice
  11. CHUM Holiday Party

CHUM's annual Holiday Party:

Thursday, December 7th at St. Arnold's Brewery

Dismiss Notice
  12. November 2017 Meeting

David Lenderman will speak on the Coral Triangle which includes The Philippines:

November 2017 meeting

Dismiss Notice
  13. Become A Tiger Shark and More

Become a full fledged CHUM member by paying only $35/year to become a Tiger Shark, pay for trips, pay for CHUM Calendars and even pick up an extra CHUM T-shirt or CHUM patch here.

CHUM Payments

Dismiss Notice

Hawaii Five-O, the parking lot diving trip

Discussion in 'CHUM Trip Reports' started by Sushi Boy, Oct 1, 2017.

1. Sushi Boy

Sushi Boy DAM CHUMmer

You bet! How many of each would you like?

2. Hawkeye Mark

Hawkeye Mark Iowa Hawkeye Fan

One of each will suffice

Sushi Boy likes this.
  3. McLOT

McLOT Tiger Shark

I'm planning to post photos but just not filed them yet........

Diver_T likes this.
  4. Seaagg05

Seaagg05 Tiger Shark

Looks like the last hyperbaric chamber in Hawaii just closed, at least temporarily.

5. Sushi Boy

Sushi Boy DAM CHUMmer

Just a reminder. The deadline for uploading and submitting your pics for the trip photo contest is THIS FRIDAY, Oct 27.

One tip if you're running behind, you don't need to upload all of your pics to be eligible. Three pics (or two, or heck even ONE) uploaded into the CHUM image gallery and PM'ed to me will get you in the contest.

Right now we have 4 photographers in the contest. If we get 5, the top two photogs will win. Hint, hint...

McLOT likes this.
  6. Hawkeye Mark

Hawkeye Mark Iowa Hawkeye Fan

I saw that

7. McLOT

McLOT Tiger Shark

Sushi Boy likes this.
  8. Sushi Boy

Sushi Boy DAM CHUMmer

Cheers, thanks McLOT (and everyone else)!

Last call if anyone else wants to get in the photo contest. The deadline is today.

9. McLOT

McLOT Tiger Shark

I should have had a deadline on this trip report......

Picking up from Sushi Boy’s trip report, six of us signed-up for an extra day of diving on Friday 29th with Lahaina Divers to go on a hammerhead dive. The shop was very local and only a couple of streets from the hotel. It was a busy check-in process with lots of divers and also snorkelers and I was glad to learn that there were separate boats for the divers and snorkelers! The advance orders for nitrox were messed-up which was disappointing since we had plans for ascending the volcano the following day and I did not want to be loaded up with Nitrogen. After a short walk to the local quay-side, the boats departed and headed to the channel.

This was a larger boat with about 24 divers and lots of organizing and herding going on. Once away from the shore, the swell picked up and I had some minor concern that maybe I should have taken some seasick meds, but it passed. We were organized into three groups, each with a DM, and after some re-organizing, we were ready for live drops at the designated sites. The format was to drop off Bob (a local photographer and apparent celebrity) first since he was on a rebreather and then drop the three teams for the first dive. After a surface interval, the three teams were dropped again, recovered and then collect Bob at an agreed time/duration. As it turned out, the dives were at around 60 feet, with minimal current and pretty good viz, but I personally did not see any hammerheads nor eagle rays. Maybe Bob in his camo wetsuit, hidden away with his rebreather, was more fortunate. The entry back on to the boat was accomplished with a line dragged behind the ladders, in the same manner as diving the Flower Gardens. Both entries were hard work but good fun, and I think everyone got back without losing cameras or any other gear.

Despite the lack of hammerheads, and the schedule that worked for Bob, I thought it was still a good day of diving. The boat crew worked hard and did a good job for sure. I had looked forward to these dives but in the end I appreciated the previous days diving all the more (Carthaginian wreck and Mala Wharf) and the whole operation at Extended Divers and their small boat and crew focused on CHUM.

For Saturday 30th, with several of the group departing, a few of us had arranged to stay on. Arranging another rental car, we headed up Haleakala volcano which is approx. 10.000’. As perspective this is twice the height of the peaks near Lahaina on the west side. It’s a nice scenic drive with a great view of the South coast. It was a bit cloudy at the top and some of the views were obscured but well worth the trip. There is a national park with lots of unique flora & fauna and a few astronomical observatories near the peaks. The schedule allowed for more R&R back at Lahaina ready for another early start on Sunday.

Sunday October 1st was the planned road trip round the island. Since the road on the south side had been trashed in a recent landslide, the trip was restricted to the famous “Road to Hana” along the North side. Looking at the map, one might estimate a couple of hours each way but in reality, the road has loads of twists & turns, and plenty of stops at waterfalls, beaches, food trucks and villages. The scenery is fabulous and all up takes maybe 11 hours round trip. We shared the driving to avoid fatigue and also enjoyed a useful downloadable phone app that provides a travel commentary and history commentary using GPS – pretty smart tool in fact.

10. McLOT

McLOT Tiger Shark

Monday 2nd was a lazier day with some logistics for an airport run, and some quality downtime at the bar and around Lahaina.

On Tuesday 3rd, we dropped off the rental car and finally departed Maui. I flew on to Honolulu to a pre-booked hotel at Waikiki for the non-diving part of my trip. It had been 25 years since I had been outside the HNL airport (except for a brief layover) and it had changed a lot.

On Wednesday 4th, I visited Pearl Harbor which I had not been able to arrange on previous trips. Great to see the USS Arizona monument. In addition, the USS Missouri (“The Mighty Mo”) is now open and a really interesting tour, including the deck where the surrender was signed. It is moored right next to the Arizona on Battleship Row and signifies the end of WW2 adjacent to the start of the US involvement. I also managed to see more of Honolulu, and Waikiki in particular.

Thursday 5th was an opportunity to drive around Oahu and the trade winds had picked up the surf on the North Shore bringing out some surfers. Stunning scenery around the South East corner on the road to Makapu’u Point and up past Waimanalo Beach. On the coast road past Kahaluu there are several food trucks and stops for delicious fish/shrimp tacos. I exited the coast road at Waialua and cut back down to Honolulu via the famous Nu’uanu Pali Lookout (kinda windy!). :eek:

Friday 6th was my last day and I hiked up the Diamond Head State Monument. I don’t get tired of volcanos and the views are well worth the climb. It’s pretty hot so take water and allow time for the climb. Managed to get a late checkout from the hotel which helped with the re-packing (and more re-packing; how come the gear never fits like it did on the outbound?).

The final flight back to Houston was an overnighter, with no upgrade from United, so it was a slog. Thankfully had the weekend to recover and adjust the 5 hours (and two weeks) jetlag.

Great dive trip and escape! :)

Last edited: Nov 13, 2017 at 5:33 PM
    Ms KJenn Dives and Sushi Boy like this.