Looking for something to do:

Upcoming CHUM Events

Dismiss Notice
  3. Where CHUM Dives

CHUM dive trips, trip reports, dive buddy board and more:

Where CHUM Dives

Dismiss Notice
  4. CHUM Officers

Questions, Suggestions, Want to Lead a CHUM Trip or Learn about the CHUM Officers? Contact us:

Your CHUM Board of Directors

Dismiss Notice
  5. CHUM Facebook

Like and Follow us:

CHUM FaceBook

Dismiss Notice
  6. CHUM Swag

Get Your CHUM Swag Here. Browse through our own store to pick up great swag for all the ocean lovers and scubadivers you know. Purchasing items supports the club - even if it's not CHUM branded. There are items for everyone so go pick something out today.

CHUM Swag

Dismiss Notice
  7. DAM CHUMmers

Get special CHUM swag by Diving Every Month. Become a

DAM CHUMmer
    Dismiss Notice
  8. 2018 Canada

CHUM's Canada Bound. Join us Summer 2018 for:

Eau Canada
    Dismiss Notice
  9. Philippine Phantasy 2018

Dive with CHUM as we

Try to find Nemo. We're off to the Philippines and would love to have you join us.
    Dismiss Notice
  10. CHUM B.O.D. Nominations

Nominations are open for:

CHUM VP & Treasure positions

Dismiss Notice
  11. CHUM Holiday Party

CHUM's annual Holiday Party:

Thursday, December 7th at St. Arnold's Brewery

Dismiss Notice
  12. November 2017 Meeting

David Lenderman will speak on the Coral Triangle which includes The Philippines:

November 2017 meeting

Dismiss Notice
  13. Become A Tiger Shark and More

Become a full fledged CHUM member by paying only $35/year to become a Tiger Shark, pay for trips, pay for CHUM Calendars and even pick up an extra CHUM T-shirt or CHUM patch here.

CHUM Payments

Dismiss Notice

Hawaii Five-O

Discussion in 'CHUM Dive Trips and Events' started by Sushi Boy, Jan 27, 2017.

1. Sushi Boy

Sushi Boy DAM CHUMmer

Well, I’m turning 50 this fall. Who wants to go diving in Hawaii with me to celebrate? That’s right, this trip will be my
    Hawaii five O.JPG

Here’s the plan. Travel dates would be Sat Sep 23rd – Sun Oct 1st. Airfare right now is about $1276 round-trip on United. Each person would book that individually. (Don’t book yet, let’s get confirmation on space availability from the operators before you pull the trigger.)

We’re headed to Lahaina on the beautiful island of Maui. The hotel we’re staying at is the Best Western Pioneer Inn, a historic building that’s centrally located in town and on the edge of the harbor. The hotel has a restaurant on-site and also has the Whalers Saloon, which should be a convenient spot for a little post-dive debauchery.

It’s worth noting that diving near Lahaina isn’t for the late-sleeping crowd. Boats leave fairly early in the morning so they can be back before the local trade winds pick up later in the day. One day we’ll have a particularly early start. That’s the bad news. The good news is that the diving’s going to be pretty friggin awesome! We’re going to get to dive on Maui
    Maui.JPG

and Lanai
    Lanai.JPG

and the back wall of the Molokini Crater.
    molokini.JPG

Extended Horizons, our primary operator, will be leading us on guided dives. Don’t think of them as the typical cattle boat guided dives though. We’ll be led by trained naturalists who will help us notice sea life and animal behaviors that we might otherwise miss. We’ll also spend a day diving with Mike Severns Diving. Both operators come highly recommended.

Here’s how the dive plan looks right now:
    Sunday – AM Maui 2-tank boat dive (depart 6:30 am), free afternoon
    Monday – AM Lanai 2-tank boat dive (depart 6:30 am), free afternoon
    Tuesday – AM Molokini/Maui 2-tank boat dive (this is our early one. The 6:00 am departure point is 50 minutes from the hotel. Sorry about that, but it’ll be great diving, I promise!) Free afternoon.
    Wednesday – AM Lanai 2-tank boat dive (depart 6:30 am), Night 1-tank shore dive (depart at sunset)
    Thursday – You can SLEEP IN!! Afternoon Maui 2-tank boat dive (depart 12:30)
    Friday – off-gas
    Saturday – check out, fly home, arriving Sunday morning

That builds in 11 planned dives for us. Optional self-guided shore dives are also available there for Sunday afternoon, Monday afternoon, Tuesday afternoon, and Thursday morning. Word is they’re easy to do, although they will involve some surface swims. Pricing for the optional shore dives isn’t included, but the shop will rent tanks for those who are interested for $5/tank and weights for $5/day.

For the planned dives, there are a few things to be aware of. Dive computers are required. Nitrox is also required and built into the pricing. If you’re not nitrox-certified, you have lots of time to do that before September. Towels are not included, so bring your own. Dive insurance is highly recommended.

We’re also building in mini-van rental into the pricing. The hope is to get 4 people in each, but we’ll divide that cost evenly across all participants.

Cost estimates for the parts of the trip that are included in the money we’re collecting are:
    Hotel: $704 per person (based on double occupancy)
    Diving: $1075 per person (not counting optional shore dives)
    Mini-van rental: $603 for the week, if we can get 4 people in each, that comes out to $151 per person, a bit more if we have fewer people.

These rates aren’t guaranteed until locked in with the operators, so the sooner we can fill the spots, the better. We’ll keep you posted if there are any changes.

Everything over and above those items is the responsibility of each of the participants.

Max group size is 11 people and the closer to that we can get, the more likely it will be that we get the dive plan we’re looking at. Tiger Shark membership is required for participation, but it comes with a lot of other cool benefits.

A $300 deposit ($310 via PayPal) will get your name on the list
    ½ of the balance will be due by the March 16th meeting
    The remainder of the balance will be due by the May 18th meeting

Once payments have been made (and space has been confirmed by the operator), they’re non-refundable unless somebody else takes your place. Trip insurance is a personal choice, but feel free to look into that if there’s a chance your schedule may change.

Tiger Sharks get first dibs on the trip. We’ll move the thread over to the CHUM Trips forum on Feb 6th for all to see.

That’s the nitty gritty. Who wants to come on a great trip to celebrate my Hawaii Five-O?

Last edited: Jan 28, 2017
  2. Sushi Boy

Sushi Boy DAM CHUMmer

Book me, Danno
    book him.JPG
    1. Sushi Boy - julie (paid in full) - EH waiver signed - CHUM waiver signed
    2. Ms Kjenn Dives (paid in full) - EH waiver signed - CHUM waiver signed
    3. K-Jenn Divers (paid in full) - EH waiver signed - CHUM waiver signed
    4. McLOT (paid in full) - EH waiver signed - CHUM waiver signed
    5. PegLeg (paid in full) - EH waiver signed - CHUM waiver signed
    6. hebep (paid in full) - EH waiver signed - CHUM waiver signed
    7. cpostali (paid in full) - EH waiver signed - CHUM waiver signed
    8. Hawkeye Mark (paid in full) - EH waiver signed - CHUM waiver signed
    9. deep bubbles (paid in full) - EH waiver signed - CHUM waiver signed
    10. wanderwoman (paid in full) - EH waiver signed - CHUM waiver signed
    11. Tarah (paid in full) - EH waiver signed - CHUM waiver signed

Waitlist

Last edited: Oct 2, 2017
  3. Ms KJenn Dives

Ms KJenn Dives veep Staff Member

Ms Kjenn Dives & K-Jenn Divers are in - we'll pay our deposit as soon as we can,

Sushi Boy likes this.
  4. wanderwoman

wanderwoman Tiger Shark

I really really wanna! Lemme see if I can't work some mojo with the finances.

Ms KJenn Dives and Sushi Boy like this.
  5. Ms KJenn Dives

The KJenns have paid our deposits via PayPal & booked our flights.

6. LegoBloxs

LegoBloxs Tiger Shark

Sounds like a great trip but all my time off is spoken for already.

7. Sushi Boy

Sushi Boy DAM CHUMmer

Glad to have the KJenns aboard! :cool: Who else wants to come along?

8. hebep

hebep Tiger Shark

Love the idea…but it's my 6-0 on Sept. 25 and I'm still making plans.

Ms KJenn Dives and Sushi Boy like this.
  9. Ms KJenn Dives

Celebrating in Hawaii with CHUM would be fun!!!

Sushi Boy likes this.
  10. McLOT

McLOT Tiger Shark

I can do this trip (now that my last project is complete and the next one is starting slowly, and my dental repairs will be closed out by May).
    The early starts will be a challenge of course.

I'll have a look at travel options since I might consider staying on for a few days to see some more of Hawaii.......

cheers,
    McLot

Sushi Boy and Ms KJenn Dives like this.
  11. Sushi Boy

Sushi Boy DAM CHUMmer

Glad to hear it! Are you ready to send a deposit yet, or are you still kicking it around?

12. New Adventure

New Adventure Member

Happy pre-50th birthday, Sushi Boy! I really really wanted to go but I might be in Taiwan, taking my kids and a relative with me. Hopefully diving Green Island and Orchid Island near there.

13. McLOT

McLOT Tiger Shark

I just paypal'd it.

cheers,
    McLot

14. Sushi Boy

Sushi Boy DAM CHUMmer

Thanks McLOT!

It's a great group so far. :cool: Who else wants to get on board? The trip gets opened up to everyone on Monday.

Ms KJenn Dives likes this.
  15. Sushi Boy

Sushi Boy DAM CHUMmer

This trip is now open to everyone. Looking forward to adding some more names to the list. Who else wants to go with us?

16. Hawkeye Mark

Hawkeye Mark Iowa Hawkeye Fan

Just saw this. Let me check at home this evening. Would use FF miles however for air. I would assume a non-diver just would not owe for diving

Sushi Boy likes this.
  17. Sushi Boy

Sushi Boy DAM CHUMmer

Yep, that's correct. Btw, the 11 person max is based on the dive op.

18. Hawkeye Mark

Hawkeye Mark Iowa Hawkeye Fan

So basically its 11 divers. Non divers don't count.

19. Sushi Boy

Sushi Boy DAM CHUMmer

For those purposes that's correct, but they'll always hold a special place in my heart. :D

20. Ms KJenn Dives

Ours were FF miles....