Looking for something to do:

Upcoming CHUM Events

Dismiss Notice
  3. Where CHUM Dives

CHUM dive trips, trip reports, dive buddy board and more:

Where CHUM Dives

Dismiss Notice
  4. CHUM Officers

Questions, Suggestions, Want to Lead a CHUM Trip or Learn about the CHUM Officers? Contact us:

Your CHUM Board of Directors

Dismiss Notice
  5. CHUM Facebook

Like and Follow us:

CHUM FaceBook

Dismiss Notice
  6. CHUM Swag

Get Your CHUM Swag Here. Browse through our own store to pick up great swag for all the ocean lovers and scubadivers you know. Purchasing items supports the club - even if it's not CHUM branded. There are items for everyone so go pick something out today.

CHUM Swag

Dismiss Notice
  7. DAM CHUMmers

Get special CHUM swag by Diving Every Month. Become a

DAM CHUMmer
    Dismiss Notice
  8. August 2018 CHUM Flower Gardens Trip

CHUM takes over the Fling!

Join the takeover!
    Dismiss Notice
  9. Going Down on Travis

Join us as we go down on:

Travis
    Dismiss Notice
  10. Become A Tiger Shark and More

Become a full fledged CHUM member by paying only $35/year to become a Tiger Shark, pay for trips or even pick up an extra CHUM T-shirt or CHUM patch here.

CHUM Payments

Dismiss Notice

Holiday book drive

Discussion in 'CHUM Gives' started by Sushi Boy, Oct 30, 2012.

1. Sushi Boy

Sushi Boy DAM CHUMmer

The holidays will soon be here. This year we're asking for your assistance so we can help out the residents of a beautiful diving destination, Little Corn Island, Nicaragua.
    There's a Children's Reading Room on the island for the local school kids.
    LCIsmall.jpg

Many local businesses have collection boxes by their registers to collect spare change so they can buy books.

We'll be collecting books this year to ship to the Reading Room. :cool: We're working in conjunction with Wisconsin/Nicaragua Partners who are graciously allowing us to piggy-back on their semi-annual cargo shipments to Nicaragua. We'll ship the books to Wisconsin, they'll see that they make it from there to Little Corn.

While you're doing your shopping, please pick up some childrens books to donate. Books for any age up to 8th grade would be appropriate. Most people on the island speak English, but the national language of Nicaragua is Spanish, so if we could get some books in both languages, that would be ideal. In Houston, it shouldn't be too difficult to find both. You can bring them to either the November CHUM meeting or the Holiday Party on Dec 6th.

If shopping's not your thing, we can also accept cash donations which will be used to either buy more books, or help defray the shipping costs.

We hope you'll join us for this worthy cause and help spread some holiday cheer! :happyeyepatch:

2. Heidi Ho

Heidi Ho Grand Pooh Staff Member

I love this idea and have already started a collection to donate; how fun to shop with a purpose! :xmas-grin I've gotten some great deals at second hand stores - money just goes so much farther buying used books. And no, I'm not buying anything that's obviously used.

If you're not comfortable poking around in second hand stores, I'm also an advocate of Half Price Books. They have both new and used books and a pretty large kids section. You can Google them to find their locations but they are all over the city. Easy peasy.

3. Sushi Boy

Sushi Boy DAM CHUMmer

When you're doing your holiday shopping, please remember to pick up a few books for the kids.

As Heidi Ho mentioned, Half Price Books is a good place to get some. I discovered a Children's Clearance shelf at the Westhimer & Montrose location that had some great books in both Spanish and English for a buck or two apiece. You don't have to spend a lot to make a difference!

4. Heidi Ho

You still have time to get books - just bring them to the party.....

5. Heidi Ho

I'm a happy HoHoHo -Half Price Books is donating 75-100 books to our cause. :xmas-smile

6. ReefHound

ReefHound Divemaster

I'm going to nominate you for the club Fundraiser Chairperson. :)

7. GWNDWN

GWNDWN Tiger Shark

Nice job Holly.....

8. Heidi Ho

thanks....really, all I did was ask. easy peasy

9. ReefHound

ReefHound Divemaster

So many things are easy to do but it still takes someone to step up and do them...

10. Heidi Ho

That's nice, RH - thanks. I'm just happy that it all worked out.

11. Sushi Boy

Sushi Boy DAM CHUMmer

Heidi, you just put the Ho Ho Ho in my Hollydays! :xmas-smile

That's awesome, but if someone hasn't had a chance to pick up some books yet, we can still use more. We'll make sure that they get to the kids, no matter how many we get!

Along that same line, if you can't buy books for whatever reason, we could use some cash donations to help cover the costs of shipping the books. We will gladly accept cash at the party, but we've also set up a PayPal subscription with different "days" for a variety of donation levels to make donating easy.

12. Siren

Siren Tiger Shark

Heidi Ho is a complete ROCK STAR through and through. What a generous heart! Both she and Half Price Books are in the HO-HO-Holiday spirit! :xmas-tree

13. Sushi Boy

Sushi Boy DAM CHUMmer

We'll be collecting books at the party on Thursday.

If you don't have books, we can also use cash to help cover shipping. Every little bit helps! You can either bring the green stuff to the party or donate via the PayPal subscription.

14. Heidi Ho

So Half Price Books was incredibly generous; they gave me double what they said they would, prolly close to 200 books! I know that adding that many more books bumps up the shipping so if it's not feasible to ship that many books, I'll take them back. The boxes aren't big but they are a little heavy.

They're in my trunk and ready to be delivered on Thursday night. :D

15. Sushi Boy

Sushi Boy DAM CHUMmer

CHUM, give yourselves a big pat on the back! Y'all were incredibly generous with the book drive. Whether you donated books or money to help ship them, thank you very much!! :xmas-smile We collected a BUNCH of books to send to Little Corn.

DSCN6925resized.jpg

We're going to make a lot of kids very happy! Thanks to everyone who took part. :happyeyepatch:

16. Heidi Ho

Very cool to see them all stacked up like that...really brings it home how many books we collected! Big thanks again to Half Price Books for their generosity.

17. jeffh

jeffh <insert something funny here>

NICE!!!

18. Sushi Boy

Sushi Boy DAM CHUMmer

We dropped off 110 lbs of books at the Post Office on Friday. :xmas-smile

Thanks to the generosity of many folks at the holiday party, we had enough cash to cover the shipping to Wisconsin and have about $16 left over. Wisconsin/Nicaragua Partners has been kind enough to let us piggy-back on one of their container shipments to Nicaragua, and also see that our boxes make it all the way to Little Corn, which is no small feat!

It would be great if we had at least $50 to send to Wisconsin/Nicaragua Partners to help offset their costs of shipping the books. They're a 501(c)3 organization, and did not even hesitate when we asked if they would be willing to help us out. They'll ship the books either way, but let's show our appreciation by helping them cover some of the expenses.

Any donation, no matter the size will make a difference. We have an easy PayPal subscription set up to make it easy for you to donate. If you haven't had a chance to participate in the book drive yet, please consider helping out with a small donation. Just a few people giving $5 apiece will quickly get us to our goal. Once I hit "submit" on this thread, I'll go over there and donate 5 bucks myself.

Cheers! :xmas-tree

19. Sushi Boy

Sushi Boy DAM CHUMmer

Just a quick follow-up. We got a nice thank you from Wisconsin Nicaragua Partners for the cash donation that will be helping the books get to Little Corn.

DSCN7052small2.jpg

20. Heidi Ho

very nice...thanks.