Looking for something to do:

Upcoming CHUM Events

Dismiss Notice
  3. Where CHUM Dives

CHUM dive trips, trip reports, dive buddy board and more:

Where CHUM Dives

Dismiss Notice
  4. CHUM Officers

Questions, Suggestions, Want to Lead a CHUM Trip or Learn about the CHUM Officers? Contact us:

Your CHUM Board of Directors

Dismiss Notice
  5. CHUM Facebook

Like and Follow us:

CHUM FaceBook

Dismiss Notice
  6. CHUM Swag

Get Your CHUM Swag Here. Browse through our own store to pick up great swag for all the ocean lovers and scubadivers you know. Purchasing items supports the club - even if it's not CHUM branded. There are items for everyone so go pick something out today.

CHUM Swag

Dismiss Notice
  7. DAM CHUMmers

Get special CHUM swag by Diving Every Month. Become a

DAM CHUMmer
    Dismiss Notice
  8. May Meeting

Join CHUM for the Monthly Meeting

Meeting Link

Dismiss Notice
  9. June 2017 CHUM Flower Gardens Trip

Who's got time for a Fling?

I DO!
    Dismiss Notice
  10. 2018 Canada

CHUM's Canada Bound. Join us Summer 2018 for:

Eau Canada
    Dismiss Notice
  11. Become A Tiger Shark and More

Become a full fledged CHUM member by paying only $35/year to become a Tiger Shark, pay for trips or even pick up an extra CHUM T-shirt or CHUM patch here.

CHUM Payments

Dismiss Notice

My 2010 Dive Skill Goals

Discussion in 'Dive Training' started by Siren, Apr 19, 2010.

1. Siren

Siren Tiger Shark

Hi CHUMMERS! I just finished logging my dives from our CHUM Claims the Comal trip last weekend, and it got me thinking; thinking about how far I have come in my 35 dives, and yet how much more I would still like to learn. I think I can recognize the things I do well, but I am also constantly aware of the things that I would like to improve about my diving.

I thought I'd start this new thread "My 2010 Dive Skill Goals." I have narrowed it down to 5 skills that I would like to focus on this dive season. By posting my dive goals on CHUM, I figured it would hold me accountable, and perhaps in turn, I will get help and encouragement from fellow CHUMMERS. Hopefully, we'll be able to discuss and celebrate these personal milestones together.

Goal #1: good trim - keeping myself horizontal at all times and keeping my feet and legs up
    Goal #2: overcoming "air" issues - freeflowing regulator, recovering regulator, "out of air" fears
    Goal #3: situational awareness in the water, improving overall confidence
    Goal #4: feeling comfortable without my mask on
    Goal #5: frog kick instead of foot flutters (I constantly fidget my feet.)

So what 5 skills do you feel like you want to improve upon in 2010?

2. Snarfal

Snarfal New Member

Thats a pretty good list! I think I need to create my own :)

3. Cold_H2O

Cold_H2O New Member

Great post Siren.. Lets see my goals for 2010...
    1 ~ Frog kick ~ I find that I swap kick techniques thru out my dive. Need to work on consistancy
    2 ~ Body position ~ Need to work on staying horizontal thru out dive.
    3 ~ Air Consumption ~ I have gotten lazy and make no effort to control breathing. Big Tank + shallow dives = Air Hog.
    4 ~ PRACTICE ~ Don't dive near as much as I did in WA skills get rusty.
    5 ~ Keeping my hands still ~ Isn't a problem when I take pics but hands get itchy when they are empty

Last edited: Apr 20, 2010
  4. ReefHound

ReefHound Divemaster

My 2010 goals

My 2010 skills goals

1. Improve my backwards kick

2. Running line from reel

3. Practice use of lift bag for small objects (10#-25#)

4. Get more practice diving doubles (buoyancy, valve drills)

5. Improve air consumption

Last edited: Apr 19, 2010
  5. 24%

24% Tiger Shark

This is a great topic, whether you have 35 dives or 3500, there are always some skills that could use a little tweaking.
    For me:
    1. Fix Frog Kick
    2. Backward Kick
    3. No Mask Skills
    4. Work on Running Line
    5. Learn multiple techniques for Clearing Ears

I recently got a new pair of fins, and I realized while on the Comal trip there is something wrong with my frog kick. I didn't really get to work on my backward kick much but that seemed broken too.

As far as ear clearing, it's been something I have struggled with since my first pool session during my open water class. I would really like to work on other techniques besides the valsalva which might be more effective in a horizontal or head down position.

Last edited: Apr 19, 2010
  6. Snarfal

Snarfal New Member

Goal #1: Working on Buoyancy control
    Goal #2: Improving Air Consumption
    Goal #3: Find opportunities to dive in the 30-50' range
    Goal #4: Explore more dive sites with chummers =)
    Goal #5: Take Advanced Open Water course/training

7. KytNut

KytNut Member

Regardless of experience level it seems like there are common threads amongst all divers. I think I will borrow a few from each of the list.

My 2010 skills goals

1. Work on Buoyancy
    2. Work on Buoyancy (It's so important I put it down twice)
    3. Learn to backwards kick
    4. Work on Advanced Nitrox and Deco Certs.
    5. Improve air consumption

8. Smoochy

Smoochy Member

I too am going to steal some list items from others:

1- Work on backwards kick... I kinda suck at this. Maintaining a constant depth while going backwards is tough :p
    2- Overcome mask issues... my eyes are sensitive, so this is a hard one for me
    3- Overcome reg issues.... Not that you should want to, but I used to not ever want to take it out of my mouth ever. I have overcome it... kinda :eek:
    4- Learn more ear clearing techniques... until 24% mentioned it, I didn't even think of this... I have issues with my ears though
    5- Improve air consumption even more :p

9. McLOT

McLOT Tiger Shark

Navigation skills. :rolleyes:

10. LiveBait

LiveBait New Member

Since it is the last month of the year.... How did y'all do?

Thanks for all the great ideas! Great thread anyone have a good link for fin techniques?

11. Smoochy

Smoochy Member

oooh actually I'm really happy to say that I worked on every single point of my goals and was able to improve every one.

1- Work on backwards kick... well I worked on it... :D still not perfect.
    2- Overcome mask issues... my new mask leaks a little bit at the crease next to my nose, but it's better than the last one overall... so I am having to clear my mask at least 2x on a dive... hence I no longer have issues with my mask.
    3- Overcome reg issues.... *check* I'm no longer afraid to remove and replace it.
    4- Learn more ear clearing techniques... I still have issues with my right ear, but I just move my jaw a little bit and my left ear will always clear... the right ear is hit or miss... I don't think it will get any better than that though

AND HERE'S THE BIG ONE:
    5- Improve air consumption even more- Drcheap and I had MULTIPLE 90min+ dives in Cozumel with an average depth of 65 feet on each of those dives :eek:
    Perhaps it's because drCHEAP is trying to get the most for his $$ :D

This was a really cool idea and we should do it for 2011 as well! :)

12. Cold_H2O

Cold_H2O New Member

Lets see my goals for 2010 were
    1 ~ Frog kick ~ Some improvement still find that I swap during the dive
    2 ~ Body position ~ hmmmm its better but still needs work.
    3 ~ Air Consumption ~ Yes improvement.
    4 ~ PRACTICE ~ Still not diving as much as I want. Keeping this on list for next year.
    5 ~ Keeping my hands still ~ Need to get back to taking pics.

13. ReefHound

ReefHound Divemaster

My 2010 skills goals

1. Improve my backwards kick - I can do ok but not strong enough to offset any current

2. Running line from reel - need more work, running line is easy, reeling it back in without fouling the reel is another story...

3. Practice use of lift bag for small objects (10#-25#) - got that one down, thanks to DMing search and recovery classes

4. Get more practice diving doubles (buoyancy, valve drills) - nope, will try to check that off but side mount is my focus now

5. Improve air consumption - I guess so, it's good enough that I don't worry about it any more

14. Snarfal

Snarfal New Member

Goal #1: Working on Buoyancy control Getting better while moving...still need to work on when holding position.

Goal #2: Improving Air Consumption Getting much better, though still lots of room for improvement.

Goal #3: Find opportunities to dive in the 30-50' range Only a couple of chances to drop below 30', but glad I did.

Goal #4: Explore more dive sites with chummers =) yup yup! hit Comal, Blue Lagoon, Mammoth, 288 and Athens!

Goal #5: Take Advanced Open Water course/training Nope...didnt happen. I'm trying to decide if I should look for an instructor in CHUM to avoid dealing with the dive shop.

15. Snarfal

Snarfal New Member

I think its funny everyone posting 2011 goals in a 2010 review =)

16. ReefHound

ReefHound Divemaster

Yeah, me too.

So I split the 2011 goals into a new thread My 2011 Dive Skill Goals. Everyone is encouraged to post their goals for next year in that thread.

Let's try to keep this thread for the assessment of our previous goals. :xmas-smile

17. Siren

Siren Tiger Shark

Update on my Dive Goals

I can now update most of these...

Goal #1: good trim - keeping myself horizontal at all times and keeping my feet and legs up
    UPDATE: I'm doing so much better!! Amazing what having your own gear can do. I switched to a bp/w, and this has really helped regulate my trim, along with my new fins which help balance me out.

Goal #2: overcoming "air" issues - freeflowing regulator, recovering regulator, "out of air" fears
    UPDATE: Having switched to a 7' hose has really made recovering my regulator a non-issue. Practiced out-of-air issues today at 288 Lake. Feel much more comfortable, at least being able to assist in an out-of-air situation.

Goal #3: situational awareness in the water, improving overall confidence
    UPDATE: I am so much more confident in the water now! Situational awareness is getting better.

Goal #4: feeling comfortable without my mask on

Goal #5: frog kick instead of foot flutters (I constantly fidget my feet.)
    UPDATE: I'm just beginning to get this. Since my trim is better, the frog kick is now an option. Before, I chose to flutter kick b/c it helped disguise my trim.

AND for those of you who know why this is such a celebration...I have surpassed "50 dives in Texas mud-holes." :D :D :D

18. Cave Diver

Cave Diver New Member

Congrats, Siren!

19. rakpix

rakpix Member

... this post just made my day ...