Looking for something to do:

Upcoming CHUM Events

Dismiss Notice
  3. Where CHUM Dives

CHUM dive trips, trip reports, dive buddy board and more:

Where CHUM Dives

Dismiss Notice
  4. CHUM Officers

Questions, Suggestions, Want to Lead a CHUM Trip or Learn about the CHUM Officers? Contact us:

Your CHUM Board of Directors

Dismiss Notice
  5. CHUM Facebook

Like and Follow us:

CHUM FaceBook

Dismiss Notice
  6. CHUM Swag

Get Your CHUM Swag Here. Browse through our own store to pick up great swag for all the ocean lovers and scubadivers you know. Purchasing items supports the club - even if it's not CHUM branded. There are items for everyone so go pick something out today.

CHUM Swag

Dismiss Notice
  7. DAM CHUMmers

Get special CHUM swag by Diving Every Month. Become a

DAM CHUMmer
    Dismiss Notice
  8. May Meeting

Join CHUM for the Monthly Meeting

Meeting Link

Dismiss Notice
  9. June 2017 CHUM Flower Gardens Trip

Who's got time for a Fling?

I DO!
    Dismiss Notice
  10. 2018 Canada

CHUM's Canada Bound. Join us Summer 2018 for:

Eau Canada
    Dismiss Notice
  11. Become A Tiger Shark and More

Become a full fledged CHUM member by paying only $35/year to become a Tiger Shark, pay for trips or even pick up an extra CHUM T-shirt or CHUM patch here.

CHUM Payments

Dismiss Notice

Navigation buoyancy course?

Discussion in 'Dive Training' started by EasyDiver, Mar 11, 2010.

1. EasyDiver

EasyDiver New Member

I am considering building and donating a navigation buoyancy course to lake 288 and would like input on best way to set it up.
    I have the hoops designed so that they can be set at different depths and will not float away or have strings to be tangled up in.

I was thinking about how to lay them out, would it be best to have them be a fixed distance apart with headings on each one to the next one? (divers will not be able to easily move them). should they be in a square? how many would be sufficient? 4? 10? I guess some should be one body length apart so that we can use only buoyancy to go through them. Ideas? comments?:piratewithhat2:

2. ReefHound

ReefHound Divemaster

Sounds like a good plan.

For the buoyancy I'd put them at various depths and distances (5-15 feet) apart facing different ways. There's one at Blue Lagoon.

I guess you are thinking of laying out a path for a navigation course? Maybe a 100' square at 20' depth. The diver will know if he is on track but viz is not good enough to let him cheat much. On the other hand, part of navigation by compass is sensing when you have gone too far and trusting only your instruments, then finding out at the end how you did.

3. spring_diver

spring_diver New Member

Good idea ..

EasyDiver: it's a great idea. 288 Lake, much like Blue Lagoon, is almost always a nav dive anyways .. :) .. Next to bouyancy control, I think nav abilities are among those important skills generally under-performed by alot of divers ..

4. barracuda

barracuda New Member

what are you making them out of ?
    if you need help drop me a line