Looking for something to do:

Upcoming CHUM Events

Dismiss Notice
  3. Where CHUM Dives

CHUM dive trips, trip reports, dive buddy board and more:

Where CHUM Dives

Dismiss Notice
  4. CHUM Officers

Questions, Suggestions, Want to Lead a CHUM Trip or Learn about the CHUM Officers? Contact us:

Your CHUM Board of Directors

Dismiss Notice
  5. CHUM Facebook

Like and Follow us:

CHUM FaceBook

Dismiss Notice
  6. CHUM Swag

Get Your CHUM Swag Here. Browse through our own store to pick up great swag for all the ocean lovers and scubadivers you know. Purchasing items supports the club - even if it's not CHUM branded. There are items for everyone so go pick something out today.

CHUM Swag

Dismiss Notice
  7. DAM CHUMmers

Get special CHUM swag by Diving Every Month. Become a

DAM CHUMmer
    Dismiss Notice
  8. August 2018 CHUM Flower Gardens Trip

CHUM takes over the Fling!

Join the takeover!
    Dismiss Notice
  9. Going Down on Travis

Join us as we go down on:

Travis
    Dismiss Notice
  10. Become A Tiger Shark and More

Become a full fledged CHUM member by paying only $35/year to become a Tiger Shark, pay for trips or even pick up an extra CHUM T-shirt or CHUM patch here.

CHUM Payments

Dismiss Notice

NOAA Ocean Discovery Day - March 24

Discussion in 'Where CHUM Plays' started by Heidi Ho, Feb 12, 2018.

1. Heidi Ho

Heidi Ho Grand Pooh Staff Member

Once again, it's time for NOAA Ocean Discovery Day! This year, it's on Saturday, March 24.

If you've not been before, you need to go. It's a jam packed day for the entire family - there's lots to see and do for everyone -no matter how big or how little. The best part - totally free.

They are also looking for volunteers so if you'd rather help out, you can.

Here's all the scoop
    - while I personally can't go, I absolutely encourage everyone to take the trip to Galveston to see what's it all about. I'm sure we'll come up with a suitable place to decompress afterwards so if you have any suggestions, shout out. Galveston Island Brewery was our spot year before last, but this year their annual luau doesn't coincide with Discovery Day so there won't be any food there. But hey - it's Galveston - it's not like there are no places to eat there :D.

Hope you can make it! I've been several times and always had a blast.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 12, 2018
    DivingDoug likes this.
  2. DivingDoug

DivingDoug President Staff Member

I'm going to try to take Andre (depending on schedules/moods) but we'll probably end up at Rainforest cafe for lunch.

We missed it last year, but the year before that was a blast.

3. Ms KJenn Dives

Ms KJenn Dives Tiger Shark

I’ve volunteered at Ocean Discovery Day 3-4 times and it’s lots of fun / I’ve volunteered in the Turtle Barn (primarily keeping people’s figures out of the turtle areas), at the Turtle Obstacle Course & as st one of the gates....

This is the only weekend date that the turtle barn is open to the public! There are lots of fun activities for kids and it’s a great intro to learning about the variety of life that lives in the ocean.

I will miss volunteering this year since I have a conflict, but I encourage other CHUMMERS to volunteer or if you have kids bring them for a fun day.

4. Seaagg05

Seaagg05 Vice President Staff Member

Unfortunately this is during the Philippines

5. Heidi Ho

Yes, we know - the timing is not great for us. Don't they know they should coordinate their calendar with ours??? :p

6. DeepGeek

DeepGeek Tiger Shark

I'll be there with the kids, bright and early for opening time because it gets busy. Margot on the turtle obstacle course will be super cute. We can do rainforest afterwards then we'll probably swing by Moody Gardens.

Ms KJenn Dives likes this.
  7. Heidi Ho

Here's a gallery for you guys....take lots of pics so we can see all the cuteness of the kids :)

Last edited: Feb 26, 2018
    Ms KJenn Dives likes this.
  8. Ms KJenn Dives

Ms KJenn Dives Tiger Shark