Looking for something to do:

Upcoming CHUM Events

Dismiss Notice
  3. Where CHUM Dives

CHUM dive trips, trip reports, dive buddy board and more:

Where CHUM Dives

Dismiss Notice
  4. CHUM Officers

Questions, Suggestions, Want to Lead a CHUM Trip or Learn about the CHUM Officers? Contact us:

Your CHUM Board of Directors

Dismiss Notice
  5. CHUM Facebook

Like and Follow us:

CHUM FaceBook

Dismiss Notice
  6. CHUM Store

Pay Tiger Shark Dues. Pay for Trips. Buy CHUM Merchandise.

CHUM Store

Dismiss Notice
  7. DAM CHUMmers

Get special CHUM swag by Diving Every Month. Become a

DAM CHUMmer
    Dismiss Notice
  8. 2018 Canada

CHUM's Canada Bound. Join us Summer 2018 for:

Eau Canada
    Dismiss Notice
  9. Philippine Phantasy 2018

Join CHUM as we:

Try to find Nemo. NOTE: This thread is only open to Tiger Sharks until August 21st
    Dismiss Notice
  10. October 2017 Meeting

Bucket List Diving - Our speaker will be Morad Hassan from OTA Diving & Travel:

Egypt & diving the Red Sea

Dismiss Notice
  11. Blue Lagoon - Oct 21st

CHUM October Dive Outing at:

Blue Lagoon

Dismiss Notice
  12. CHUM B.O.D. Nominations

Nominations are open for:

CHUM VP & Treasure positions

Dismiss Notice

Philippine Phantasy 2018

Discussion in 'CHUM Dive Trips and Events' started by ReefHound, Aug 7, 2017.

1. ReefHound

ReefHound Divemaster

Join us as CHUM makes its first trip to Asia! Or the Indo-Pacific. Or whatever you want to call the Other Side of the World. It will be my first trip over there as well and I am super excited! Here is a little animation I put together.

We'll fly into Manila and spend 7 nights in Sabang, Puerto Galera and then 3 nights in Anilao. See the detailed itinerary at bottom of the post. We will have 8 full days of diving in one of the most vibrant marine environments in the world, visiting two distinct places.
    sabang-puerto-galera-philippines.jpg

In Sabang, we'll explore the colorful reefs and fish along the coast, with a few day excursions to more distant sites.
    puerto-galera-philippines-reef.jpg

In Anilao, we'll enjoy world-class "muck diving," which – contrary to a common interpretation – does not mean diving low viz, muddy water, but exploring the bottom for creatures and critters such as nudibranchs, octopi, cuttlefish, shrimp, eels, frog fish, stargazers, and more.
    anilao_critters.jpg

Ten nights, dozens of dives, and who knows how many San Miguel beers later, we will reluctantly head home. This will be a very economical trip offering tremendous “sa-bang” for the buck!

If you are seeing this thread for the first time, you are probably not a Tiger Shark. One of the benefits of a Tiger Shark membership is first crack at club trips and the Tigers really took advantage of it.

The trip is officially FULL, but please do put yourself on the Wait List. I will try to secure a few more rooms. In the unfortunate circumstance that someone needs to drop out of the trip, you need to be on the wait-list to be added.

Dates
    March 17-28, 2018

Costs
    $1500 per person for Sabang/Anilao
    includes 10 nights lodging, all group transfers between airport and resorts, up to 4 dives per day, nitrox, breakfasts in Puerto Galera, all meals in Anilao.
    ----- OR -----
    $1100 per person for Sabang only.

$300 single supplement.

You are responsible for anything else such as airfare, bar tabs, add-on services, single supplements, or any other items of a personal nature. As usual, prices and services are not guaranteed until locked in with the operators, so the sooner we can fill the spots, the better. I estimated conservatively, so if all falls into place, we may receive a rebate after the trip.

Payment Schedule
    $500 ($520 via PayPal) reserves your spot.
    $500 ($520 via PayPal) covers half the balance and will be due by the October 19th meeting
    $500 ($520 via PayPal) caps it off and will be due by the January 18th meeting
    If you hover over your username at top right of screen then click on Account Upgrades, or this link, we have payment items set up for 1 deposit and 2 deposits. Specifying quantity is not currently supported so use some combination of these if paying for couples or multiple payments.

Air travel
    (Do not book airfare until we have six and reservations have been confirmed.)
    EVA Airways (Hello Kitty) offers 1 stop service via Taipei.
    As of now, RT ticket on EVA is about $800, while United is about $1200.
    You can use United air miles to fly on EVA through United website.
    There is a 13 hour time change.

Here are the recommended flights. (If you choose other flights/carriers, we may have to work out arrangements for individual transfers at your expense.)
    Flight EVA BR51/271
    - depart Houston 3/17 at 12:40am Saturday morning
    - plane change in Taipei
    - arrive Manila 3/18 at 11:40am Sunday morning
    - Total flight time is 22 actual hours.

Flight EVA BR278/52
    - depart Manila 3/28 at 6:40pm Wednesday evening
    - plane change in Taipei
    - arrive Houston 3/28 at 11:40pm Wednesday evening
    - Total flight time is 16 actual hours.

Lodging
    7 nights at Angelyn's Resort in Sabang, Puerto Galera
    Sabang is a lively area with plenty of bars, restaurants, and shops.

3 nights at Aquaventure Resort in Anilao
    Anilao is a quiet area with little or no bars, restaurants, or shops except what is available at the resort.

Meals
    Breakfast included in Sabang, Puerta Galera
    Breakfast, lunch, and dinner included in Anilao

Diving
    Nitrox is required and included in the pricing. We will be doing a lot of dives, and most dives are in the 60-90' range, a perfect profile for Nitrox. Dive insurance is required. We will be a long way from home, and as we have learned, it greatly enhances the ability of the group to assist a member in need.

We will have up to 4 boat dives per day. I'll be surprised if anyone makes them all, but you can really boost your dive count if you like. In Sabang, most sites are just minutes away. Single-tank trips are the norm, with the boat returning back after each dive. We can sub a day dive for a night dive for a small fee. Verde Island, a premium attraction, is an all-day 3 tank boat trip. In Anilao, 2-tank trips are the norm.

Requirements

You must be a Tiger Shark and will get all the extra benefits of Tiger Sharkdom!
    You must have DAN dive insurance or similar.
    You must be Nitrox certified. It's easy and cheap.
    Trip insurance is highly recommended.

Detailed Itinerary
    Saturday morning - depart Houston in the wee hours

Sunday afternoon - arrive in Manila, transfer to Sabang via van/ferry, relax and recover

Monday - Saturday - 4 boat dives per day (we can sub a day dive for a night dive at no cost)

Sunday morning - check out, transfer to Anilao via ferry/van, relax

Monday - Tuesday - 4 boat dives per day (we can sub a day dive for a night dive for a fee)

Wednesday morning - check out, transfer to Manila via van, daydream about our next dive trip

Wednesday evening - depart Manila and arrive in Houston

Last edited: Aug 23, 2017
    Diver_T, watermonkee and Sushi Boy like this.
  2. ReefHound

ReefHound Divemaster

So who wants to help me find Nemo?

01. Reefhound (trip Julie)
    02. watermonkee (paid 1/3)
    03. Seaagg05 (paid 1/3)
    04. cpostali (paid 1/3)
    05. hebep (paid 1/3)
    06. McLOT (paid 1/3)
    07. Hawkeye Mark (Sabang)(paid 1/3)
    08. Teca (Sabang)(paid 1/3)
    09. Heidi Ho (paid 1/3)
    10. wanderwoman (paid 1/3)
    11. Pegleg (paid 1/3)
    12. Diver_T (paid 1/3)
    13. Sushi Boy (paid 1/3)

Waiting in the wings

clownfish_coral_reef_philippines.jpg

Last edited: Oct 2, 2017
    hebep, watermonkee and K-Jenn Diver like this.
  3. ReefHound

ReefHound Divemaster

Phun Phacts:

There are about 60 coral species in the Caribbean versus over 700 in the Indo-Pacific.

There are about 500 fish species in the Caribbean versus over 1500 in the Philippines.

There are over 7600 islands that make up the Philippines. It used to be considered 7100 until they found over 500 more in a mapping project a few years ago!

Puerto Galera, one of the oldest Spanish settlements in the Philippines, was founded in 1572, becoming the first provincial capital on Mindoro Island. It is situated on the northern peninsula of the island, approximately 160 km from Manila.

Seaagg05 and watermonkee like this.
  4. Ms KJenn Dives

Ms KJenn Dives veep Staff Member

KJenns are in (Ms KJenn Dives and K-Jenn Diver). It sounds like a great trip!!!
    We'll pay our deposit at the August 17 meeting.

Last edited: Aug 7, 2017
    watermonkee and K-Jenn Diver like this.
  5. Heidi Ho

Heidi Ho Pooh Staff Member

Love that dive insurance is required :) What do we know about medical facilities in the area? From a quick search, it looks like they are well equipped but if you have any specific info, that would be great.

I'm still waiting to hear about my second doctor's appointment so can't fully commit until I get that answer but hopefully, I'll know in a week or so.

6. Seaagg05

Seaagg05 Tiger Shark

This looks like the place to be, so I'm in too!

7. hebep

hebep Tiger Shark

cpostali and I are in!

8. K-Jenn Diver

K-Jenn Diver Tiger Shark

Disappointed I am only number 4, bags packed and ready to go. Looking forward to a great trip.

watermonkee, McLOT and Ms KJenn Dives like this.
  9. McLOT

McLOT Tiger Shark

This looks a great trip to me (still reading the details, links and maps!) - count me in please. :)

I'll paypal it soonest this week.

cheers,
    McLot

Seaagg05 and watermonkee like this.
  10. Hawkeye Mark

Hawkeye Mark Iowa Hawkeye Fan

Okay after some discussion myself and wife(Teresa) are in for Sabang portion only.

Will paypal later this week.

watermonkee and Ms KJenn Dives like this.
  11. Heidi Ho

Well, since this trip is filling up fast, put me down. I'll know before the meeting if I can really go or not so there's plenty of time to fill my spot if I can't make it.

watermonkee likes this.
  12. wanderwoman

wanderwoman Tiger Shark

I'm in.

watermonkee likes this.
  13. ReefHound

ReefHound Divemaster

Bamm!!! That didn't take long.

I'll start taking names for the wait list now. Once all 12 deposits are in and the base logistics are in place, I'll work with providers on additional space.

14. Heidi Ho

see, it pays to be a Tiger Shark :D

15. ReefHound

ReefHound Divemaster

OMG, I just logged back in to say that, almost verbatim!

watermonkee and Ms KJenn Dives like this.
  16. ReefHound

ReefHound Divemaster

Payment items have been added and post #1 updated. If you hover over your username at top right of screen then click on Account Upgrades, or this link, we have payment items set up for 1 deposit and 2 deposits. Specifying quantity is not currently supported so use some combination of these if paying for couples or multiple payments. Thanks.

17. McLOT

McLOT Tiger Shark

I've paypal'd deposit #1. :cool:

(Also mentioned to my team leader that I'll be taking some time off.........:rolleyes:)

cheers,
    McLot

18. Hawkeye Mark

Hawkeye Mark Iowa Hawkeye Fan

I just paypaled 624.00(per discussion with Reefhound) for initial deposit for myself and Teca.

19. PegLeg

PegLeg Tiger Shark

Looks like I'm slow. Put me on the wait list.
    Anyone want to share accommodations, I'm game.

watermonkee likes this.
  20. Sushi Boy

Sushi Boy DAM CHUMmer

I may have to do some juggling if a spot does open up, but put me on the waitlist too please.

Cool to see a trip fill up this quickly. That's old school!

Siren, Ms KJenn Dives and watermonkee like this.