Looking for something to do:

Upcoming CHUM Events

Dismiss Notice
  3. Where CHUM Dives

CHUM dive trips, trip reports, dive buddy board and more:

Where CHUM Dives

Dismiss Notice
  4. CHUM Officers

Questions, Suggestions, Want to Lead a CHUM Trip or Learn about the CHUM Officers? Contact us:

Your CHUM Board of Directors

Dismiss Notice
  5. CHUM Facebook

Like and Follow us:

CHUM FaceBook

Dismiss Notice
  6. CHUM Swag

Get Your CHUM Swag Here. Browse through our own store to pick up great swag for all the ocean lovers and scubadivers you know. Purchasing items supports the club - even if it's not CHUM branded. There are items for everyone so go pick something out today.

CHUM Swag

Dismiss Notice
  7. DAM CHUMmers

Get special CHUM swag by Diving Every Month. Become a

DAM CHUMmer
    Dismiss Notice
  8. 2018 Canada

CHUM's Canada Bound. Join us Summer 2018 for:

Eau Canada
    Dismiss Notice
  9. Philippine Phantasy 2018

Dive with CHUM as we

Try to find Nemo. We're off to the Philippines and would love to have you join us.
    Dismiss Notice
  10. CHUM B.O.D. Nominations

Nominations are open for:

CHUM VP & Treasure positions

Dismiss Notice
  11. CHUM Holiday Party

CHUM's annual Holiday Party:

Thursday, December 7th at St. Arnold's Brewery

Dismiss Notice
  12. November 2017 Meeting

David Lenderman will speak on the Coral Triangle which includes The Philippines:

November 2017 meeting

Dismiss Notice
  13. Become A Tiger Shark and More

Become a full fledged CHUM member by paying only $35/year to become a Tiger Shark, pay for trips, pay for CHUM Calendars and even pick up an extra CHUM T-shirt or CHUM patch here.

CHUM Payments

Dismiss Notice

Philippine Phantasy 2018

Discussion in 'CHUM Dive Trips and Events' started by ReefHound, Aug 7, 2017.

1. Hawkeye Mark

Hawkeye Mark Iowa Hawkeye Fan

Yes they did. Supposedly the cost of the trip had to be charged to it. But I used FF miles and paid for the hotels and rent car. I guess they were good with that

Last edited: Oct 11, 2017
  2. Sushi Boy

Sushi Boy DAM CHUMmer

Wasn't that a trip before the CHUM trip?

Good to know though, thanks. Seriously considering getting that card and will have to compare the costs of paying for future CHUM trips with the United card via PayPal vs buying traditional trip insurance. That could be an option for getting trips insured.

3. Hawkeye Mark

Yes it was when we went to the Big Island in late August.

4. McLOT

McLOT Tiger Shark

I booked my flights but should have booked them earlier since some of the options and deals have already gone. My drivers were to try and get business seats using airmiles, avoid the 50-minute tight connection on the return flight and maybe get a layover or time somewhere. Because I did not book this 3 or 4 weeks ago, I now have an extra stop on the outbound which is not ideal but it does break the journey.

I fly out on Thursday evening 15th UA1844 to San Fran.
    Connect to EVA BR27 to Taipei and then connect to EVA BR271 to Manila arriving 11.45am on Saturday 17th (St Patricks Day in Manila :rolleyes:).
    This should let me recover a bit, have a day in Manila, and crash out & rehydrate. I'll meet everyone off the flight on Sunday morning.

I am on the same return flight on Wed 28th at 6.45pm = EVA BR278 arriving at Taipei at 9.10pm.
    I then have 25 hrs layover in Taipei for some tourism before boarding EVA BR52 on Thursday 29th at 10pm arriving in Houston at 10.40pm. Back in time for Easter w/e (Friday is a public holiday) and recover before work on Monday.

I booked this on airmiles with a small fee, plus insurance.
    (There were some other limited options on Star Alliance including via Japan but most were longer duration.)

Let's go diving. :cool:

cheers,
    McLot

watermonkee likes this.
  5. Heidi Ho

Heidi Ho Pooh Staff Member

Well, I hate to do this but I'm dropping out :( For a variety of reasons, not the least of which is the diving profile, this is just something I can't do now.

I know you'll have a great time and like I just messaged ReefHound, I just have to live vicariously through you guys!

6. watermonkee

watermonkee CHUM Secretary Staff Member

Darn, I was really hoping it would work out for you. Get your fins wet on a slow progression back towards your normal recreational profile. Above all, stay healthy!

Heidi Ho and Ms KJenn Dives like this.
  7. Heidi Ho

Heidi Ho Pooh Staff Member

yes, that's the plan. And really, when I looked at diving 4 times a day for days on end, it just seemed too much.

8. Hawkeye Mark

Actually 4 dives a day are available. I have no intention of doing 4 dives. Since better half is coming who is a non diver I wont be doing 4. Personally I would be worn out and would need another vacation or sleep for a week if I tried to do 4.

When we were in Little Cayman last year 3 a day were available. Except for a couple of single guys(well one was married but his wife wasnt there) no one(including the leader) did all the dives. Its a vacation not an endurance contest

watermonkee likes this.
  9. Hawkeye Mark

Are we supposed to pay the second third of the trip this month. I haven't seen a reminder

10. Hawkeye Mark

I just paypaled the second deposit

11. watermonkee

I hope things work out so that you can re-join the trip!

Seaagg05 likes this.
  12. watermonkee

You get the same privileges at number 13! I hope things work out so that you and Ms KJenn can re-join!

Diver_T and Ms KJenn Dives like this.
  13. Sushi Boy

Sushi Boy DAM CHUMmer

Got my tickets booked, I'm on the following flights:

Sat, 17 Mar 2018
    EVA Air BR 51
    Departure: 00:40 Houston
    Arrival: 06:10+1 day(s) Taipei
    Sun, 18 Mar
    EVA Air BR 271
    Departure: 09:10 Taipei
    Arrival: 11:45 Manila

Wed, 28 Mar 2018
    EVA Air BR 278
    Departure: 18:45 Manila
    Arrival: 21:10 Taipei
    EVA Air BR 52
    Departure: 22:00 Taipei
    Arrival: 22:30 Houston

I'll start crossing my fingers now for that return connection.

FWIW, I couldn't find that itinerary on the United site today.

Looking forward to the meeting on Thursday to hear about all of the cool stuff we're gonna see!

Last edited: Nov 13, 2017 at 3:34 PM
    Ms KJenn Dives and watermonkee like this.
  14. New Adventure

New Adventure Member

Hi, please put me down on the list (or wait-list) while I am figuring out the flights. Since I am planning to stay at Taipei for at least 3, 4 days, I am hoping to work out the same flights going there. Once worked-out the flights, I will pay the deposits & renew membership at the same time.

Just fyi. I have a friend living in Thailand, she maybe interested in joining us there. Already forwarded her our thread!