1. Welcome to CHUM

New to CHUM or the CHUM website, visit our: Welcome to CHUM page

Dismiss Notice
  2. Upcoming Events

Looking for something to do:

Upcoming CHUM Events

Dismiss Notice
  3. Spring Lake - June 22

Interested in being a Volunteer Diver? CHUM will be diving scenic 72°F Spring Lake, June 22nd 2019

Learn more about the Dive Authorization Class and how to join us for diving Spring Lake
    Dismiss Notice
  4. April 18th, 2019

May monthly meeting at Jake's Sports Bar: Red Sea Fish ID Trivia Night!.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Blue Ocean? No, Red Sea We're diving the Red Sea in June 2019 and we'd love to have you join us!
    Dismiss Notice
  6. CHUM Facebook

Like and Follow us:

CHUM FaceBook

Dismiss Notice
  7. DAM CHUMmers

Get special CHUM swag by Diving Every Month. Become a

DAM CHUMmer
    Dismiss Notice
  8. Become A Tiger Shark and More

Become a full fledged CHUM member by paying only $35/year to become a Tiger Shark, pay for trips or even pick up an extra CHUM T-shirt or CHUM patch here.

CHUM Payments

Dismiss Notice

San Marcos river Clean up March 2nd

Discussion in 'CHUM Gives' started by PegLeg, Jan 31, 2019.

1. PegLeg

PegLeg Active Member

Thank you for all who signed up and received a slot for the cleanup. The slots are full if you are like me and didn't get a slot, no worries they are having a separate sign in for divers as per Amy Kerwin.

Lakediver likes this.
  2. Lakediver

Lakediver Tiger Shark

Are we meeting up somewhere Friday night?

3. ReefHound

ReefHound CHUM President Staff Member

Surely so. Any place will do. The question is the time. Our "plan" is to escape by 4pm and be there around 7pm. Be advised our "leave early" plans fail more often than they succeed. But we should be there by 9pm if not. I haven't seen anyone else post hotel bookings but surely people aren't getting up at o'dark-thirty and driving up that morning!!!

Lakediver likes this.
  4. PegLeg

PegLeg Active Member

I'll be at the Econo Lodge Friday. I can text you and Todd when I get in.

ReefHound and Lakediver like this.
  5. Kgator88

Kgator88 New Member

I'm coming in from Austin Saturday morning. I'll look for y'all at the diver sign-in area.

ReefHound likes this.
  6. Lakediver

Lakediver Tiger Shark

Realistically, I'm looking more at getting in around 9ish. Although I may come in early so I can skip earlier than usual. I usually work until around 6, but that would have me getting into San Marcos really late. I text you guys and let you know.

RE: where to go Friday night .. I did some browsing on Yelp and came up with a few suggestions.
    • Ivar's River Pub - I actually used to go here all the time when I lived in San Marcos, but it's changed owners since then. It's a really beautiful spot right on the river. From the reviews, it sounds like most people like the food. But they are only open until 11pm, so if we want to hang out later than that, this may not be the place.
    • The Growling - This sounds like it's a great beer bar with lots of local beers on tap. However, it looks like they only serve beer. No mention of food. VERY dog-friendly ... apparently, dogs can come inside the bar (like Underdogs on Washington). Open until midnight.
    • Zelick's Ice House - Full bar, located in an old gas station from the 1930s. Has an outdoor patio with games like cornhole and horseshoes. Also dog-friendly, but sounds like it's just the patio. Open until 2am.
    • Gray Horse Saloon - Big dive bar, not in the square (so not full of college kids). Sounds like the drinks are good and really cheap. No kitchen, but you can get food delivered. Pool tables, darts, the usual stuff. Smoking allowed inside. Open until 2am.
    • Riley's Tavern - Another dive bar. Apparently, it's the oldest bar in Texas. Looks like it's a good old fashioned honky tonk bar, complete with live music and a dance floor. Everyone on Yelp claims this place is a "must". Large outdoor patio. Dog-friendly. Open until 2am.

It doesn't matter to me where we go, but any of these places sound like they would be fun!

7. ReefHound

You get an A on your homework!

8. Lakediver

Lakediver Tiger Shark

It was a good excuse to slack off at work for a little bit! :D

I am bringing my dog, so I would prefer a place that is dog-friendly. But that's not an absolute must. If we end up going somewhere that isn't dog-friendly, I can always just leave her at the hotel.

9. Waterproof

Waterproof Tiger Shark

All slots are filled for San Marcos River 1, so do I just show up?

10. Heidi Ho

Heidi Ho CHUM Fan

I hope you guys have a great time! Don't forget to take pictures (and someone from the board, please don't forget to create a gallery)

Lakediver likes this.
  11. watermonkee

watermonkee CHUM Secretary Staff Member

See PegLeg's post, #21. I would say yes, just show up!

12. Waterproof

Waterproof Tiger Shark

See y'all there!

Lakediver likes this.
  13. Seaagg05

Seaagg05 Vice President Staff Member

What Reefhound means is “we’ll be there around 11”

Last edited: Mar 2, 2019
    Lakediver likes this.
  14. Kgator88

Kgator88 New Member

If I have a slot, you can have it. I woke up this morning with a bad sore throat and it only got worse through the day. I’m going to have to pass this time. I’m so bummed I won’t be able to help out and meet y’all!! I hope to meet everyone coming to the Comal dive next month. (My full name is Kelly Gatewood if you need it to take my spot)

15. ScubaKitty

ScubaKitty Tiger Shark

So we got up at omfg see you in there

McLOT and Sushi Boy like this.
  16. ReefHound

We were there drinking beer at Railyard at 9:30pm. Slept, dived, returned to Railyard for more beer. A more detailed reported will follow in a day or two.

Sushi Boy and Lakediver like this.
  17. Seaagg05

Seaagg05 Vice President Staff Member

Lol, congratulations, I didn’t think you would do it.

Lakediver likes this.
  18. ReefHound

Lakediver likes this.