1. Welcome to CHUM

New to CHUM or the CHUM website, visit our: Welcome to CHUM page

Dismiss Notice
  2. Upcoming Events

Looking for something to do:

Upcoming CHUM Events

Dismiss Notice
  3. Spring Lake - June 22

Interested in being a Volunteer Diver? CHUM will be diving scenic 72°F Spring Lake, June 22nd 2019

Learn more about the Dive Authorization Class and how to join us for diving Spring Lake
    Dismiss Notice
  4. April 18th, 2019

May monthly meeting at Jake's Sports Bar: Red Sea Fish ID Trivia Night!.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Blue Ocean? No, Red Sea We're diving the Red Sea in June 2019 and we'd love to have you join us!
    Dismiss Notice
  6. CHUM Facebook

Like and Follow us:

CHUM FaceBook

Dismiss Notice
  7. DAM CHUMmers

Get special CHUM swag by Diving Every Month. Become a

DAM CHUMmer
    Dismiss Notice
  8. Become A Tiger Shark and More

Become a full fledged CHUM member by paying only $35/year to become a Tiger Shark, pay for trips or even pick up an extra CHUM T-shirt or CHUM patch here.

CHUM Payments

Dismiss Notice

Spring Lake certification 6/22/2019

Discussion in 'CHUM Dive Trips and Events' started by ReefHound, Apr 15, 2019.

1. ReefHound

ReefHound CHUM President Staff Member

Spring Lake, as the waters of Aquarena are officially known, is owned by a branch of Texas State University called The Meadows Center for Water and the Environment. It is the headwaters for the San Marcos River and home to 8 threatened and endangered species. Being spring fed, the waters are crystal clear and a constant 72 degrees year-round, which makes it ideal for diving in any season, and especially attractive for knocking out those cold weather DAM dives. ;)

Because of the fragile nature of the habitat and the plants and animals there, the only way to dive there is to take a Dive Authorization Course (DAC). CHUM members have been getting certified and diving here for many years. We've arranged for CHUM members who have not yet completed this course to take the DAC on June 22. When you sign up for the class, we will provide the Aquarena staff with your name and email address so they can send you some materials to study and quizzes to complete before that weekend.

The course itself will typically begin at 9:00 am on Saturday and will be a one-day course where the assessment quizzes will be reviewed, diving skills will be assessed, a tour of the springs will be given and common volunteer tasks will be demonstrated. This course is PASS/FAIL. Students must score at least 70% on each of the assessment quizzes and demonstrate that they are competent divers in order to pass. Students must show proof of a minimum of 20 logged dives beyond their OW training dives and need to provide all of their own equipment, including tanks and weights. Additional info and resources are on the DAC website.

Once you've passed the class, you can come back the next day or any time in the future to dive at Aquarena by volunteering for various tasks underwater. None are very difficult and it's a fun way to log dives while helping out a beautiful part of Texas at the same time. It's also a blast to wave to the tourists in the glass-bottom boats as they go overhead. :)

If you have already passed the DAC in the past, we would like to see you join the group to do volunteer dives that weekend. We'll start a separate thread for that once the class is formed. This thread is only for those who have never taken the DAC before to sign up.

Hotel and travel arrangements are up to each individual, but we'll post some suggestions for places to stay as the date gets closer.

Cost of the DAC class itself is $230. You will pay Spring Lake on Saturday morning.Discounts are available for veterans, instructors, and Texas State students and staff.

So who's ready to get in on the class and become qualified to wear yellow tights in public? We do need a minimum of 6 people for the class.

1. Lakediver
    2. JPipes
    3. DeepGeek

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 18, 2019
  2. ReefHound

Keep in mind that these classes usually fill up well in advance so any of those who responded expressing interest in this date as well as any others needs to commit pretty soon. I'd really like to be able to tell the coordinator by early next week that we have a class.

3. Lakediver

Lakediver Tiger Shark

I'm in!

4. Lakediver

Lakediver Tiger Shark

Out of curiosity, are there discounts for Texas State alums? Because I got my degree from there

5. ReefHound

I'll check.

Lakediver likes this.
  6. JPipes

JPipes Tiger Shark

Sign me up, I am going to squeak by on the dive count. I will have to get a couple more (4) in locally but it is doable by June.

7. DeepGeek

DeepGeek Tiger Shark

Sign me up!

8. ReefHound

Just 3? I thought we had 6 or 7 ok with this date in a poll. I haven't talked with Caleb about this in a few weeks so I'm going to say this Thursday is the deadline and I'll give him whatever names I have on Friday.

JPipes likes this.
  9. Cajun Diver

Cajun Diver Tiger Shark

Is there any leeway on the deadline? I won't know for a few weeks whether I'm could do it that weekend - the only one I was sure of was the May 25th date I voted on.