1. Blue Ocean? No, Red Sea We're diving the Red Sea in June 2019 and we'd love to have you join us!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Welcome to CHUM

New to CHUM or the CHUM website, visit our: Welcome to CHUM page

Dismiss Notice
  3. Upcoming Events

Looking for something to do:

Upcoming CHUM Events

Dismiss Notice
  4. Where CHUM Dives

CHUM dive trips, trip reports, dive buddy board and more:

Where CHUM Dives

Dismiss Notice
  5. CHUM Officers

Questions, Suggestions, Want to Lead a CHUM Trip or Learn about the CHUM Officers? Contact us:

Your CHUM Board of Directors

Dismiss Notice
  6. CHUM Facebook

Like and Follow us:

CHUM FaceBook

Dismiss Notice
  7. CHUM Swag

Get Your CHUM Swag Here. Browse through our own store to pick up great swag for all the ocean lovers and scubadivers you know. Purchasing items supports the club - even if it's not CHUM branded. There are items for everyone so go pick something out today.

CHUM Swag

Dismiss Notice
  8. DAM CHUMmers

Get special CHUM swag by Diving Every Month. Become a

DAM CHUMmer
    Dismiss Notice
  9. Going Down on Travis

Join us as we go down on:

Travis
    Dismiss Notice
  10. Become A Tiger Shark and More

Become a full fledged CHUM member by paying only $35/year to become a Tiger Shark, pay for trips or even pick up an extra CHUM T-shirt or CHUM patch here.

CHUM Payments

Dismiss Notice
  11. Where CHUM Dives

Join us on the first CHUMfest!

THE First-Ever CHUMfest on the Comal River Oct. 12-14, 2018

Dismiss Notice

The Blue Ocean? No, The Red Sea - June 2019

Discussion in 'CHUM Dive Trips and Events' started by Heidi Ho, Jul 25, 2018.

1. Heidi Ho

Heidi Ho Grand Pooh Staff Member

Great! Welcome aboard everyone. I'll update the list later.

For the record, we now have half the boat :D

Jen likes this.
  2. PegLeg

PegLeg Tiger Shark

Thaaat's Great!!

3. sharkbaitoohahah

sharkbaitoohahah Treasurer Staff Member

Sharknado and I are in! Deposit has been paid via check.

Heidi Ho and Jen like this.
  4. Heidi Ho

5. Heidi Ho

I'm happy to say we are now up to lucky number 13. But there's still room for more - the boat holds 22 divers so we're over halfway there! hahahahahaha....can you imagine an entire liveaboard with nothing but CHUMMERS on it??? I can :)

Jen likes this.
  6. PegLeg

PegLeg Tiger Shark

7. Seaagg05

Seaagg05 Vice President Staff Member

That is awesome, the even include a tank for those that might like to bring their pony, don’t remember seeing that before. Hopefully they renew it.

8. hebep

hebep Tiger Shark

cpostali and I are in! Have you started a waiting list for the upper cabins :rolleyes: ?? Check will be in the mail tomorrow.

Jen, Seaagg05 and Heidi Ho like this.
  9. Heidi Ho

Hahahaha

So glad you guys are joining us. So now we're at 15....and counting. Gonna be a great trip!

10. Hawkeye Mark

Hawkeye Mark Iowa Hawkeye Fan

While I cant go(bad time of the month) hey its only money. I spent plenty to go to Bora Bora. Worth every dime.

11. Heidi Ho

I'm so happy that we're filling the boat; poor Red Sea won't know what hit it! ;) But we still have room so keep spreading the Red Sea love.

I have a couple of travel notes to pass along straight from OTA.

Remember that your passport must have at least 6 months left on it by the end of the trip. I know I'm preaching to the choir here but it's a good reminder to check your renewal date if you haven't done it lately.

If you're doing the Cairo tour, Turkish Air can fly into HRG and out of Cairo with no penalty so when checking flights, you can use the “multi-city” option.

Turkish also allows extra baggage weight for free if you say the magic words “it’s scuba gear” unless their policy changes in 2019. OTA will keep an eye on that for us but it's a good idea to keep that your radar too - see the link in post #26 for the current policy. Jeanne said she used the magic words at IAH on her last trip and it worked like a charm with no questions asked.

One of the perks of traveling with OTA is that they will handle the visa process for us here in the US to make it easier for us to get through the airport. When that time comes, we'll let you know.​

12. Heidi Ho

We'll have a little update on the trip at our meeting this week but don't worry if you miss it; we'll make sure you get all the scoop.

On a related note, you may or may not know that you can 'watch' a thread on this forum. What that means is that every time someone posts on thread you're watching, you'll receive a little alert when you log in and/or you'll get an email with the new post. Since these posts are our primary form of communication for this trip, it might not be a bad idea to watch the thread.

On the right side of the first post below the thread title, you'll see Watch Thread. Click that and you'll see the option to receive an email or not. Personally, I think this is a good practice for any CHUM trip but especially one that is so far out and will have lots of info dribbling in over time. But you do you.

Oh, and we still have room on the boat....

13. Heidi Ho

I just sent everyone on the trip (so far, at least ;)) a PM about the cabins. Please check your messages and get back to me when you can. Thanks!

Jen likes this.
  14. Heidi Ho

I just got a notice that my DAN insurance is due by the end of the month; when's yours due??? ;) We'll be required to provide insurance info prior to getting on the boat so if you don't have it, you need to get it.

15. Cajun Diver

Cajun Diver Tiger Shark

Mine expires at the end of March and I generally renew it early to mid-March.

Heidi Ho likes this.
  16. deep bubbles

deep bubbles Tiger Shark

Mine is due the end of September when I renew.

Heidi Ho likes this.
  17. Jen

Jen Tiger Shark

I don't have DAN right now, but I'll get it soon.

18. Heidi Ho

It really was a rhetorical question, I just wanted to bring insurance to the top of your mind since it's required for this trip. So yes, Jen....go get it. :)

Ms KJenn Dives and Jen like this.
  19. Heidi Ho

Well, I just got back from a trip back east and what was the biggest stressor at the airport? Going through flipping security. Good grief. I've got TSA pre-check through United but it's hit or miss if I get it; on this trip I got it one way but not the other.

I'm applying for the Global Entry System now to make sure that I glide through airports - wherever they may be - for the next 5 years. Our own smart CHUMMERS introduced it to me - here's a link to the original thread. You may want to check it out yourself if you haven't already. It will surely make this trip easier......