Looking for something to do:

Upcoming CHUM Events

Dismiss Notice
  3. Where CHUM Dives

CHUM dive trips, trip reports, dive buddy board and more:

Where CHUM Dives

Dismiss Notice
  4. CHUM Officers

Questions, Suggestions, Want to Lead a CHUM Trip or Learn about the CHUM Officers? Contact us:

Your CHUM Board of Directors

Dismiss Notice
  5. CHUM Facebook

Like and Follow us:

CHUM FaceBook

Dismiss Notice
  6. CHUM Swag

Get Your CHUM Swag Here. Browse through our own store to pick up great swag for all the ocean lovers and scubadivers you know. Purchasing items supports the club - even if it's not CHUM branded. There are items for everyone so go pick something out today.

CHUM Swag

Dismiss Notice
  7. DAM CHUMmers

Get special CHUM swag by Diving Every Month. Become a

DAM CHUMmer
    Dismiss Notice
  8. May Meeting

Join CHUM for the Monthly Meeting

Meeting Link

Dismiss Notice
  9. June 2017 CHUM Flower Gardens Trip

Who's got time for a Fling?

I DO!
    Dismiss Notice
  10. 2018 Canada

CHUM's Canada Bound. Join us Summer 2018 for:

Eau Canada
    Dismiss Notice
  11. Become A Tiger Shark and More

Become a full fledged CHUM member by paying only $35/year to become a Tiger Shark, pay for trips or even pick up an extra CHUM T-shirt or CHUM patch here.

CHUM Payments

Dismiss Notice

Who's got time for a Fling (aka Flower Gardens June 22 - 24, 2018)?

Discussion in 'CHUM Dive Trips and Events' started by Earl Grey, Apr 19, 2018.

1. Earl Grey

Earl Grey Tiger Shark

Now that it is perhaps starting to feel like spring again in Houston, it is time to think about our annual trip to the Flower Gardens! Sure, we have had some weather the last few years but for those of us who have been blown out, I suppose it makes the heart grow fonder, no? It isn’t too soon to start those positive thoughts for good weather…

The details - The format for the weekend will follow the normal Fling schedule starting with boarding the Fling on Friday night June 22nd, dive Saturday 6/23 (up to 5 dives), dive Sunday 6/24 (up to 2 dives) morning and then head back to Freeport. We have spots for 9 divers + our julie, Earl Grey. Feel free to reach out with any questions also see the Flower Gardens primer here.

The Fling website is http://flingcharters.com/

Directions to the dock are on the Fling's contact page at http://flingcharters.com/contact.asp

When:
    On June 22nd, early boarding begins at 7:30 pm. The dock space will be needed for unloading from the previous trip, cleaning and restocking so be sure to give them some room and not arrive and unload earlier than 7:00 pm. We return to the dock on Sunday, June 24th between 5:00 and 6:00 pm. See link above for the address & directions to the dock.

Where:
    Flower Gardens - Saturday 2 morning dives on the West Bank of the Flower Gardens, 2 afternoon dives on the East Bank and 1 night dive. Move to Stetson Bank during the night and make 2 morning dives on Stetson before getting underway for Freeport. As an FYI, this is the usual Fling itinerary but as with all dive trips, the sites are subject to change on the spot.

Cost:
    $585 Tiger Sharks ($603 via Paypal or credit card) and $620 ($639 via Paypal or credit card) for Nurse Sharks (includes a 1 year Tiger Shark membership). Nitrox is $65 ($68 via Paypal). Included in the cost are tanks, air, meals and drinks - soda and beer are an additional charge. Please note that we assume all divers are using Nitrox, so the payment for Nitrox has been included in the "first payment" subscription. If not planning on using Nitrox, please let me know.

If not Nitrox certified, please consider it prior to this trip as it requires repetitive deep dives.

Note: payments are only refundable in the event of trip cancellation or if there is someone else to take your place on the trip.

Deposits:
    April meeting – April 19 - Tiger Sharks $355 ($367 via Paypal or credit card), Nurse Sharks $360 ($372 via Paypal or credit card)
    May meeting – May 17 - remaining balance

Payment Method:
    By check: payable to CHUM, handed to the Treasurer or mailed to CHUM (P.O. Box 980573, Houston, Texas 77098),
    By PayPal/credit card: Here's the PayPal link - we can scan your credit card at a meeting.

Enrollment for Tiger Sharks is now open so snap up your spot now - it will open to Nurse Sharks the last week of April.

Who's on board?

1. Earl Grey - Nitrox - julie
    2. McLot - Nitrox
    3. Cajun Diver - Nitrox
    4. K-Jenn Diver - Nitrox
    5. Shadow Diver - Nitrox
    6. watermonkee - Nitrox

Waitlist:

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 28, 2018
  2. McLOT

McLOT Tiger Shark

It's been a while, and I'm keen to try for it.
    Please count me in with Nitrox.

cheers,
    McLot

3. Cajun Diver

Cajun Diver Tiger Shark

Add me to the list with Nitrox.

4. K-Jenn Diver

K-Jenn Diver Tiger Shark

Add K-Jenn Diver to the list, with nitrox of course.

5. Shadow Diver

Shadow Diver Tiger Shark

Add me to the list with Nitrox

6. watermonkee

watermonkee CHUM Secretary Staff Member

In with Nitrox!

7. Earl Grey

Earl Grey Tiger Shark

We've got a good showing so far! I'm looking forward to it.

Who else is in?

DivingDoug likes this.
  8. McLOT

McLOT Tiger Shark

I see we have the pricing links on the thread, thanks.

I have paypal'd the deposit of $367.

cheers, :)
    McLot.

9. K-Jenn Diver

K-Jenn Diver Tiger Shark

Payment in full in the mail.

10. K-Jenn Diver

K-Jenn Diver Tiger Shark

Is the $585 including Nitrox? A little confused on how you stated that is included in the '"first payment" subscription.'

11. Shadow Diver

Shadow Diver Tiger Shark

Paid in full with PayPal

12. Earl Grey

Earl Grey Tiger Shark

We have sent our numbers to the Fling. If anyone else would like to join us, I believe there are spots on the boat. If interested, just PM me and I will clear with the Fling if the requested spot(s) are available!

13. Earl Grey

Earl Grey Tiger Shark

I'm going to reach out to the Fling to see if there are any open spots on the trip for next weekend, so if anyone has been thinking about this but thought the trip was closed, let me know!

Otherwise, this hardy crew will start hoping for good seas.

watermonkee likes this.
  14. K-Jenn Diver

K-Jenn Diver Tiger Shark

Paperwork we need to complete before the trip?

15. Earl Grey

Earl Grey Tiger Shark

16. Cajun Diver

Cajun Diver Tiger Shark

The CHUM release link is giving me an error that I need to be logged in to see that form - even though I'm logged in.

17. Seaagg05

Seaagg05 Vice President Staff Member

I got the same error, but once I logged in again it downloaded

18. Earl Grey

Earl Grey Tiger Shark

https://www.chumclub.org/forums/threads/club-forms-and-documents.69/

A few folks have had issues with the link - sorry about that - I am not sure what the issue is. You can try the above link and the pdf for the CHUM waiver is attached to the third message. Let me know if anyone else continues to have problems. I will also have hard copies at the boat.

Weather is looking OK, so lets hope for the best. Don't forget your C-cards, including your nitrox card (I think we are all diving nitrox), and your DAN cards...and sea sickness meds for those that want the extra assurance!

19. ReefHound

ReefHound Divemaster

Trip is canceled.

20. Cajun Diver

Cajun Diver Tiger Shark

Well darn - I saw that forecast change for Saturday night and hoped it would come back down before they canceled. I'll be on the Lionfish Rodeo trip going out Sunday and it's a go.

I already have a trip planned for August so won't be able to go on the August CHUM Flower Gardens trip so won't be rolling over to that one.