1. Welcome to CHUM

New to CHUM or the CHUM website, visit our: Welcome to CHUM page

Dismiss Notice
  2. Upcoming Events

Looking for something to do:

Upcoming CHUM Events

Dismiss Notice
  3. Spring Lake - June 22

Interested in being a Volunteer Diver? CHUM will be diving scenic 72°F Spring Lake, June 22nd 2019

Learn more about the Dive Authorization Class and how to join us for diving Spring Lake
    Dismiss Notice
  4. April 18th, 2019

May monthly meeting at Jake's Sports Bar: Red Sea Fish ID Trivia Night!.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Blue Ocean? No, Red Sea We're diving the Red Sea in June 2019 and we'd love to have you join us!
    Dismiss Notice
  6. CHUM Facebook

Like and Follow us:

CHUM FaceBook

Dismiss Notice
  7. DAM CHUMmers

Get special CHUM swag by Diving Every Month. Become a

DAM CHUMmer
    Dismiss Notice
  8. Become A Tiger Shark and More

Become a full fledged CHUM member by paying only $35/year to become a Tiger Shark, pay for trips or even pick up an extra CHUM T-shirt or CHUM patch here.

CHUM Payments

Dismiss Notice

New To CHUM

Discussion in 'New to CHUM' started by outback, Mar 3, 2005.

1. SilverBubbles

SilverBubbles Tiger Shark

Hi everyone! I'm Andrea, I live way on the south side of town smack dab in the middle between Houston and Galveston but I don't mind driving, especially to dive sites.

As a kid, I knew that more than anything else I wanted to work in marine biology. I expressed interest in diving ever since my cousin came back from Grand Cayman with amazing pictures when I was a really impressionable eight-year-old.

I've been certified since 2001 and did a bunch of lake cleanups in Austin before taking an extended break for school at A&M. I got back into it in 2016 on a dive trip to Cuba and I haven't stopped since.

It was so nice meeting everyone at the November meeting and I'm definitely looking forward to the party in December. I like having a dive per month goal so I'll be joining DAM in January :)

2. JPipes

JPipes Tiger Shark

Thanks for the welcome Siren. I am trying to juggle my schedule to sneak away for the party, it's a good reason to make my way down there.

Yep Andrea, I will be there on the 8th. Looks like it is going to be a busy day with our check out dives and the lake class going on at the same time. If only I could do both... Soon enough.

Siren likes this.
  3. Heidi Ho

Heidi Ho CHUM Fan

Welcome to you both! One of these days, I'm going to do the Spring Lake thing....

It was lovely to meet you at the party, SilverBubbles, and JPipes, hope to see you at an event soon.

4. Siren

Siren Tiger Shark

**thread hijack**

Heidi Ho Ho Ho - I didn't know you had an interest in doing the Spring Lake Course!! Oh my goodness, with as many new CHUM faces as we are getting recently, CHUM should TOTALLY set up another class for people. I'd LOVE to have you certified to dive Spring Lake!! Have you NEVER dove Spring Lake?!? HOLY CLARITY!!! So fun! And same temperature year round! A life changing course if you want to dive "locally" in Texas!!

**please return to the regularly scheduled welcoming committee**

5. Heidi Ho

Heidi Ho CHUM Fan

I've been threatening to do it for about a year now...it's on my radar for sure

As Siren said,

**please return to the regularly scheduled welcoming committee**

6. jinibre

jinibre Tiger Shark

Hello! I am new to CHUM. I have been to two meetings and have found them all very interesting and informative.

I live part time in Houston (Galleria area) and part time in Playa del Carmen. I look forward to meeting new diving buddies. I also love camping so will try to make one of the Blue Lagoon camping events if I'm stateside during any of the events.

See you all at the holiday party!

Sushi Boy and Seaagg05 like this.
  7. Heidi Ho

Heidi Ho CHUM Fan

Welcome! Glad you found us and yes, see you in just a couple weeks.

8. Kgator88

Kgator88 New Member

Hi, I'm Kelly. I was a member of this group a very long time ago when I lived in Huntsville (with family I visited a lot in Houston). I'm not in the Houston area anymore, but decided to re-join this group because I'm much more active in diving than I was then and am always looking for buddies. I live in Austin now, so if anyone needs a buddy in Central Texas or there is an event is out this way, I'll definitely make an effort to join in! I volunteer at Spring Lake and dive often in Lake Travis (although it's too cold there for me at the moment).

9. SilverBubbles

SilverBubbles Tiger Shark

Hi Kelly! I grew up in Austin and I'm always looking to do some Central Texas diving and looking for dive buddies. I just completed my Spring Lake class to volunteer there as well. If you need a buddy, lets get together!

10. watermonkee

watermonkee CHUM Secretary Staff Member

Hi Kelly. You should come to our annual "CHUM Claims the Comal" get-together!

Many of us also go to Spring Lake to meet our individual CHUM Dive-a-Month (DAM) challenge. We had a Club dive outing at Lake Travis last summer; I'm sure we'll do that again in the future.

11. Kgator88

Kgator88 New Member

Cool! I'll put it on my calendar, thanks!

12. Kgator88

Kgator88 New Member

I'm going to be at Spring Lake the weekend of Feb. 16-17 to do Open Water checkouts. My class is from 8-11am, but I'd happily stay after to do a volunteer dive either day if anyone wants a buddy that weekend!

13. Heidi Ho

Heidi Ho CHUM Fan

Welcome - we're glad you found us.

14. Zach

Zach New Member

Hi,
    I'm Zach. I live in the Spring Texas area. I've been diving off and on over the years. I ran into a few of the CHUM members at the blue lagoon.

15. JPipes

JPipes Tiger Shark

Welcome Zach, I am a fellow far North-sider. Its an interesting bunch here. Sounds like the lagoon was a good time last weekend, and just about warm enough for me to make an appearance the next time out.

16. Heidi Ho

Heidi Ho CHUM Fan

Welcome Zach! Hope to meet you at another event soon - someone is always doing something :)